Sub-£600 road bike? Triban, Pinnacle, Merlin etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Hi all -

I am currently looking at buying a new road bike to upgrade from my fairly old and poor condition Triban 3 which has been great for me. I am looking at spending up to c£600 and have trawled through many forums/reviews so far to create a (potential) shortlist. It would be great to hear your thoughts and what you think is the best bike at this price range!

Current list:
Triban RC 500
Pinnacle Laterite 2
Merlin PR7 Sora
Boardman SLR8.6

Let me know what you guys recommend/have any other ideas!

Have you thought of buying used, you’ll get a lot more bike for your money. I’ve posted this before but I picked this up recently barely used for £475, I added a 105 5800 crankset and calipers (so the groupset all matched) and I’m all in for about £675 (current retail price is just under £2000) it is indistinguishable from a new bike.

And he threw two additional sets of brand new tyres

It’s a shame your not a short arse like me or else I would have recommended the Wiggle Rouen range. Me and my son both have the 48cm version at 5ft 7 and they fit Us both nicely. Only changes I made to mine were wider bars to 31.8mm Width and 38cm bars and a 90mm stem and to his stayed with the 26mm Width and 36cm bars and moved to a 90mm stem.

Pointless post as it’s not use to you at 6ft but they were a steal with Claris running gear fitted

Gunk

Guru
It’s a shame your not a short arse like me or else I would have recommended the Wiggle Rouen range. Me and my son both have the 48cm version at 5ft 7 and they fit Us both nicely. Only changes I made to mine were wider bars to 31.8mm Width and 38cm bars and a 90mm stem and to his stayed with the 26mm Width and 36cm bars and moved to a 90mm stem.

Pointless post as it’s not use to you at 6ft but they were a steal with Claris running gear fitted

I’m 5’7” and my 51cms BMC is a good fit but I’m swapping the stem from 100mm to 70mm just to make my hands on the brake hoods just that more comfortable.

My sons Carbon Ribble is a 49cms frame but I find it slightly cramped.

si_c

Guru
Of the four bikes the OP listed I'd go for the Pinnacle or the boardman - the latter for looks the former for the internal cable routing as it's a little neater.

I'd avoid the Triban to be honest as I'm wary of promax mechanical disk brakes, I'd rather have rim brakes at that price point as they'll work better.

C R

Guru
Of the four bikes the OP listed I'd go for the Pinnacle or the boardman - the latter for looks the former for the internal cable routing as it's a little neater.

I'd avoid the Triban to be honest as I'm wary of promax mechanical disk brakes, I'd rather have rim brakes at that price point as they'll work better.
Have you had bad experiences with the promax? I haven't noticed any issues with mine, they behave pretty well.

Absolutely no issues with triban discs. Far better than rims in the wet

si_c

Guru
Have you had bad experiences with the promax? I haven't noticed any issues with mine, they behave pretty well.
I've used them and wasn't impressed, they are single sided disc calipers which I dislike anyway but they braking performance was weak compared to other mechanical disks I've used and not really any better than any rim brakes I've used so I'd go with the easier option - I think the rim brakes at that price will perform better.

I've used them and wasn't impressed, they are single sided disc calipers which I dislike anyway but they braking performance was weak compared to other mechanical disks I've used and not really any better than any rim brakes I've used so I'd go with the easier option - I think the rim brakes at that price will perform better.
Discs need bedding in then they outbrake rims. Not had any issues in any price range provided you floiw bedding in process

Top Bottom