Sub 2 hour marathon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That's my average cycling speed...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
sorry started another thread on this , i will delete
I think it smacks of cheating as the pacemakers are not running the distance so hes getting a draft from fresher athletes .I am not knocking his obvious talent and fitness, determination etc but seems to be bending the rules and should not stand as a true record .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think it smacks of cheating as the pacemakers are not running the distance so hes getting a draft from fresher athletes .I am not knocking his obvious talent and fitness, determination etc but seems to be bending the rules and should not stand as a true record .
I didn't think it was going to stand as a record, just the first sub 2 hour marathon.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's not cheating, it's just a different thing. I don't think there's any suggestion that it should stand as an official record, it seems to be just a bit of fun.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I believe the Guinness Book of Records are accepting it.

swansonj

Guru
Aren't the rules (and therefore what counts as cheating) pretty much arbitrary? Didn't Roger Bannister plan a previous attempt on the four minute mile where his third lap pacer had run the first lap at half speed so it was only their second lap and they were fresher? (That would have been a valid record but Bannister said he was glad he hadn't done it that way). Paula Radcliffe taking advantage of male pacers to set a female record? Cheating or not? And the Bob Graham Round only accepts records if they are set with pacers, who are almost invariably rotated between sections, so a completely different philosophy. People do extraordinary things and the world is better for it - the rules that determine whether a given extraordinary feat is feted in the record books or described as cheating are arbitrary.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aren't the rules (and therefore what counts as cheating) pretty much arbitrary? Didn't Roger Bannister plan a previous attempt on the four minute mile where his third lap pacer had run the first lap at half speed so it was only their second lap and they were fresher? (That would have been a valid record but Bannister said he was glad he hadn't done it that way). Paula Radcliffe taking advantage of male pacers to set a female record? Cheating or not? And the Bob Graham Round only accepts records if they are set with pacers, who are almost invariably rotated between sections, so a completely different philosophy. People do extraordinary things and the world is better for it - the rules that determine whether a given extraordinary feat is feted in the record books or described as cheating are arbitrary.
Of course we are entitled to our own opinions , mine is that if you need to use pacemakers that are not doing the whole race from start to finish and drafting in an event that is an individual event then for me it isnt a valid record , is like thecycling hour record allowing it .

swansonj

Guru
Of course we are entitled to our own opinions , mine is that if you need to use pacemakers that are not doing the whole race from start to finish and drafting in an event that is an individual event then for me it isnt a valid record , is like thecycling hour record allowing it .
Absolutely we are all entitled to our own opinions ... as long as we recognise that our opinions are just that, and there is no definitive rule. You make the point quite nicely: the cycling world hour record does not involve pacing at all, athletics records allow pacing provided the pacer completes the whole course (but with no regard to whether the pacer was running competitively or not), and the fell-running records I alluded to earlier expect the pacers not to complete the whole course.

It seems to me that running a solo marathon with no runners around you has some sort of absolute meaning; doing what was done today and running as fast as you can, making whatever provisions assist you, has some sort of absolute meaning; anything in between, any rules about what pacers can or cannot do, is arbitrary.

Top Bottom