Sub 2 hour marathon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Absolitely astonishing. When I used to run my trainer reckoned I'd be good for a 4 minute mile if i'd wanted to - I never did, and never wore the coveted Sub-4 T shirt - but this is astonishing. Give it time, as now we know it can be done someone will soon do it again bit under racing conditions.
You would have completed a mile with 15 seconds of the fastest person in history ? Really ??????

and, indeed, almost 15 seconds faster than the quickest woman in the world ???

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
he should have been made to run back the other way & take an average of the two
If you take a look at the 26.2 mile time trial route from the weekend, you'll see that the route he ran is essentially that: out and back.

Milzy

Guru
Can anybody explain why the runners need about 8 world class pacers for help? When cyclists do their TT’s they pace themselves. Why can’t they use their running watch.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Can anybody explain why the runners need about 8 world class pacers for help? When cyclists do their TT’s they pace themselves. Why can’t they use their running watch.
The runners were actually acting as a wind break. They were running in an inverted chevron pattern. So the main guy was drafting.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some marathon facts:

American Larry Macon holds the record for the most marathons run in a year. Between 1 December 2012 and 30 November 2013 he ran 239. I don't think any were under 2 hours!
btw Larry was 69 years old.
It was the fourth time he had broken that record, running 6,261.8 in a 12 month period. In 2017 (when he was 72) he was officially the first American to run 2000 marathons.
---------------
Stefaan Engels (born 7 April 1961, Ghent, Belgium), also known as "marathon man", is a Belgian marathoner and triathlete, the first man to run the marathon distance 365 consecutive times in a single year. He also holds the record for the most Ironman Triathlons in a year with 20 over 2007 and 2008.
---------------
Ricardo Abad Martínez (Tafalla, January 8, 1971) is a Spanish ultrarunner. He holds the world record for consecutive marathons run on consecutive days, 607. He is famous for executing the project "500 marathons in 500 days", in which he completed 500 marathons in 500 consecutive days.
----------------
From October 12-15, 2005, Dean Karnazes ran 350 miles across Northern California without stopping. He didn't stop to sleep or to eat, or – in the most stupefying accomplishment of all – he did not even slow down to sample a Sonoma Valley chilled chardonnay. All told, he ran for 80 hours, 44 minutes without a break.
-----------------
Mind boggling, isn't it? :eek:

Surely the guys in facts 2 and 3 make fact 1 untrue?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Surely the guys in facts 2 and 3 make fact 1 untrue?
No, the first guy holds the American record. The other two were international records.

Talking of record breaking marathon runners, I knew this guy when I used to race:
http://richardbird.me.uk/component/content/article/8-local-news/49-marathon-man

He was in one of the Luton cycling clubs in the 1960s, I think it was the Icknield Road Club. He obviously didn't keep up with the cycling because by the time he was 36 he was an overweight heavy smoker. Never having run a marathon before, he set out to break the most marathons in a year record - and he did it, getting himself into the Guinness book of Records. The record was much lower then, but his 71 in a year, travelling all around the world was a tremendous feat.

good morning,

Some amazing marathon facts posted above, but these were by 'athletes'.

What impresses me most (me being a normal kind of person) is the achievement set by Eddie Izzard (almost a normal person, too) and his running of 43 marathons in 51 days.

Interesting interpretations on how headlines become "truth". :-)

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...umphant-after-running-27-marathons-in-27-days

He was forced to take an unscheduled rest day on the fifth day of the challenge, which meant he had to complete two marathons on the final day.

An alternative view at https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=7129334

Arghhh, the Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...7-days-intrepid-comic-s-54-year-old-body.html
John Brewer, professor of applied sports science at St Mary’s University in London, says Izzard’s technique was to do each race slowly.

‘If he was going to run them competitively, he would have struggled,’ Prof Brewer explains. ‘Instead, he used a combination of slow jogging and steady walking, which puts far less pressure on the body.

27 days of 26 miles walking/jogging is still a lot of effort for something he didn't have to do. :-)

Bye

Ian

D

Deleted member 26715

If you take a look at the 26.2 mile time trial route from the weekend, you'll see that the route he ran is essentially that: out and back.
The comment was made very much tongue in cheek but if you need to be pedantic about it land speed records are often run over a measured distance. The competitor then has to do the return run over the same course starting within a specified time. So this guy ought to have run the 26 miles had an hours break & then run back the 26 miles the other way to make it valid!

But can you now see how silly that would be? Lighten up not everything in life its serious

Top Bottom