Sub 5 hour 112 mile ride?!?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
So I might have let one of my mates talk me into something absolutely insane: a sub 5 hour 112 mile bike ride. She is booked onto a long course weekend, that is likely to be postponed until mid-May, and if it is, I will sign up to do just the bike leg. Now, chances are neither of us will be able to complete a 112 mile ride in less than 5 hours, even if it is fairly flat and we're on TT bikes. But it will be fun to try. What type of training should I be looking at? The distance doesn't bother me as I complete several century+ rides a year.

CXRAndy

Guru
The position will and maintain minimum 22.5 mph. If its just you two, then drafting will be extremely difficult and potentially dangerous, whilst holding a TT position.

Also potential for crashing into objects,vehicles is increased unless you keep your head up position.

What speed can you ride at for an hour on a normal road bike? You would need to be comfortable over 21 mph solo

Training-lots of endurance and a smattering of High intensity intervals

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Look to be able to do a sub 2 hour 50 miler, work out a fueling and drinking strategy and practice it, work out how to carry all the water you need, with no stops, then you should be ready.

Riding 100 milers is completely different from racing 112 miles on the tribars.

Does it have to be under 5 hours ? That seems a big ask unless you're superfit. What's your longest TT distance ?

davidphilips

Veteran
That is quite a distance to do in under 5 hours, Not a cycling coach but know if i was going for that distance and time i would set out a training schedule, theres lots of imfo on the internet.
know for me it would be mostly long zone2 cycles with only one or two higher zones for a much reduced period of time a week with rest days ever week and an easy or rest week ever 4th week. Good luck and keep us posted ,ttfn

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
And if it's the Tenby long course then it's not flat.
Beesel, so not much elevation.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Like I said, it's an absolutely insane idea, and there is a high liklihood we won't be able to do it in under 5. A more realistic time for the two of us would be 5:15-5:30, but we're both slightly masochistic so want to aim high.

mattobrien

Guru
I have done 100 miles solo on a road bike. I have since got considerably fitter and better at cycling. 112 miles on a TT bike would now be without difficulty, especially in five hours. I guess it’s just practise holding position and riding for extended periods at tempo.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good luck with your challenge. I tried to do 100 miles in 5 hours on a std road bike a few years ago & would have probably managed it, had it not been for the strong winds :sad: Think I managed around 5hrs 15mins in the end. You need minimum elevation & very little wind on the day 👍 Hills & headwind will just kill your average speed :sad:

Top Bottom