Sub zero where I live this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
And my brifter needs a hell of a throw to make the derailleur go up the cassette (i.e. into the bigger sprockets), much more than usual.

What's causing that? The cable contracting?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If the cable had contracted then it would need less throw to shift. Does the bike live outside or inside?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

If the cable had contracted then it would need less throw to shift. Does the bike live outside or inside?
That's the bit I don't understand. You'd think it would increase tension, but the opposite happens.

I've also experienced this on my other bikes on very cold days.

It lives in my garage, so not as cold as being fully outdoors but not as warm as being fully indoors.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Could it just be that it feels further and harder to shift because of thick gloves?
No, I had the thin Sealskins on, same as last week. I did think about going to thicker ones, but I'm Northern.**

** I did put my beanie on under my helmet, I've lived down here too long

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As long as you're not sub sea level.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Probably some moisture in the final length of cable outer and this is frozen, causing the problem. How are the shifts going back down the cassette to the smaller sprockets?
They are OK in that direction.

They were also OK in both directions this evening coming home.

It's already frosty outside, so we'll see what happens in the morning.

The brake cables to the back brake on my step through hybrid freeze in sub zero temperatures. The cable runs down the down tube then up to the brake. I'm sure water sits in the down end of the cable casing. It is only ever a problem in the morning when the temperature has been sub zero all night.

Slick

Guru
Not sub zero this morning.

Levers normal.

Hmmmmmmmmm. * Strokes chins *
I noticed the same thing with mine last week and eventually on the next ride my indexing unravelled a bit and I had to readjust but I did notice a lot of tension in the cable and thought it was on the way out.

Top Bottom