Success!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I have finally got Mr Plax to agree to go cycling with me.
He was adamant he wanted a MTB as he's 6ft 3 and about 16 stone. I managed to persuade him that a hybrid would be more suitable and took him along to Halfrauds to have a look at the bikes. He has decided on a Carrerra Subway 2.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_551207_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab
I've just ordered it online to save £60 so we got it for £239.99. Collection on Tuesday!

longers

Legendary Member
Excellent, have fun Mr Plax :wacko:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I'm hoping he will enjoy it. I think he has finally realised that in order to spend time with me on a Sunday he needs to start cycling!

What do you fellas do for down below? I don't like padding myself but I don't want Mr Plax to get any unneccessary discomfort that will give him an excuse to pack it in. He'll not be doing much milage to start with, and it won't be very fast, just leisurely family type rides along designated cycle paths. Will just normal boxers with shorts or walking trousers be okay?

longers

Legendary Member
Undies would be my choice over boxers, fewer seams and easier to keep it all tidy. But shorts/walking trousers will be fine, fabric with a bit of stretch is good.

Padded baggy shorts should do the job very well.

They provide comfort and don't look like out-and-out cycling-looking shorts, if he were to feel a little self-conscious.

Get him on the forum, too, Plax!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Padded shorts definitely.

They might be his crown jewels, but you'll be the loser if they're harmed.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Dayvo said:
Padded baggy shorts should do the job very well.

They provide comfort and don't look like out-and-out cycling-looking shorts, if he were to feel a little self-conscious.

Get him on the forum, too, Plax!

Hell no, how can I flirt outrageously with you if he is on the forum :smile:.
Wouldn't surprise me if he does lurk on here since he knows this is my forum of choice and I've shown him a few threads with pictures of people, and he has met TheDoctor but still...........:smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yay!!!!! Very well done!!!

I might stand a chance of not being the slowest next time we go for a ride, then?
WRT the whole Lycra / padding thing, Aldi did padded cycling undies last time they had bike stuff in, and it must be nearly time for them to do them again. You wear them under civvies, and they don't look daft.

Nice bike but...if the one he is getting has the suspension seatpost its horrible. Bike on the ship has one and it feels loose like its about to break off. I'm a similar weight and it does nothing for me either to take the lumps out of the road. Seat isn't much better either. A decent post/seat may make a bigger difference than the shorts (+1 on the baggies, I wear 3/4 length mostly so good on or off the bike)

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Yay!!!!! Very well done!!!

I might stand a chance of not being the slowest next time we go for a ride, then?
WRT the whole Lycra / padding thing, Aldi did padded cycling undies last time they had bike stuff in, and it must be nearly time for them to do them again. You wear them under civvies, and they don't look daft.

Well, you might have to pretend you are slower than him to make him feel better.

Piemaster said:
Nice bike but...if the one he is getting has the suspension seatpost its horrible. Bike on the ship has one and it feels loose like its about to break off. I'm a similar weight and it does nothing for me either to take the lumps out of the road. Seat isn't much better either. A decent post/seat may make a bigger difference than the shorts (+1 on the baggies, I wear 3/4 length mostly so good on or off the bike)

I was thinking of changing the seat as it looks nasty (well from a female perspective anyway!). Hadn't thought about the seatpost, I could always swap it with the one on my MTB if necessary. I hadn't noticed that it was a suspention seatpost though, so it could be just the seat that needs changing.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mr Plax went on his first proper ride today (he has been poorly, bless him - man flu). He did just over 7 miles on one of the local Sustrans routes (to avoid the traffic for his first ride), and we had an ice cream on the pier afterwards (well near the pier, bikes aren't allowed on the pier....). He said he enjoyed himself, and did make a comment that he could do that ride himself a couple of evenings a week (it's not too far from his place). So I think this is a good sign.
On the parts that we did have to cycle on the road, I was impressed with his road positioning, he automatically took a strong secondary position without my having to tell him. No gutter hugging I was pleased to see.
I'm going to pick him up a few bits from Aldi on Thurs. I think he'll like a computer as he was keen to check out how many miles we had done on mine whenever we stopped.
I'll soon have him out on Sunday CTC rides with me!

Top Bottom