Sue another cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's our way of saying a cyclist is responsible, a Person On Bike - watch out, especially if it's a SOB - Student On Bike !!!

We all get labeled as cyclists, but some folk are a damn right pain, motorist or cyclist, or pedestrian - those are usually POBs, no lights, ride where they please, no siganls, run grannies off the pavement - you know the sort !

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
saw someone tonight, bloke of 30+, flashing lights, hi-viz doing 12mpg+ ON THE ****ING PAVEMENT. twunt, looks like a "proper cyclist" and will give the rest of us a bad name. :smile: :blush:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
alecstilleyedye said:
saw someone tonight, bloke of 30+, flashing lights, hi-viz doing 12mpg+ ON THE ****ING PAVEMENT. twunt, looks like a "proper cyclist" and will give the rest of us a bad name. :smile: :blush:

Saw one guy a month ago, on the pavement, unlit, dark clothes.

Saw him last week, Hi-Viz, loads of lights/reflectives etc and on the road. You never know, give this guy a couple of weeks - might just be finding his feet and looking for confidence?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
He! Time to express my dislike of POB - we're all cyclists as soon as you get a leg over. Some of us are good people, and some are tossers. Those few will still be tossers, when they are walking or driving or anything else. POB is just horribly elitist and really quite hypocritical coming from other cyclists, an already minority group.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BentMikey said:
POB is just horribly elitist and really quite hypocritical coming from other cyclists, an already minority group.

Problem with that is I don't classify myself as a 'cyclist'. I cycle. But cycling although a hobby and one of my ways of getting to work, its still too small a part of my life to fit a label to it. Father, Husband, Son, Engineer all figure well above.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
TBH, if I wasn't thinking of them as POBs, it'd be crap cyclist, or inconsiderate cyclist imho, probably as elitist in one sense.

I'm getting a bit fed up of them in central Manchester, to be honest. Completely unpredicatable, damn near invisible at night unless you're under streetlight (no lights, no refelectives, dark clothes), and horrendously selfish and inconsiderate of everyone else in terms of road/pavement behaviour. The last couple of nights have been particularly bad on the stretch from the University to Platt Fields.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
John the Monkey said:
TBH, if I wasn't thinking of them as POBs, it'd be crap cyclist, or inconsiderate cyclist imho, probably as elitist in one sense.

When I think of the term POB its not an 'elitist' thing. I'm not thinking 'person, or 'pedestrian'. :smile:

I am thinking of it as an insult, when something stupid is being done.

Tynan

Veteran
I like POB, they're a section of people cycling that distinguish themselves

bit like drunk drivers, WVM, 4x4s and so on

jay clock

Massive member
'a 6"+ builder had just got out of his van..........'

a six inch builder....ooo I'd be terrified!

Or maybe 6"+ was not referring to height

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
jay clock said:

:smile::laugh: Nicely spotted, your virtual £5 is on its way (NOT:biggrin:)

Better with 6'?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
jay clock said:

Well, 6"+ could mean 7', technically...:smile:

I don't think my mate reckons he'll get much - the guy looked like a student, so probably hasn't a lot to cough up, if not 3rd party insured. Unless his Dad happens to be a Triad, in which case my mate will probably end up with less fingers than he started...

I can see Mikey's point about the POB term, but I do tend to use it, as shorthand, and because I think there is a genuine distinction - in the same way as there is a distinction between a good driver in a Transit and the dreaded WVM. Yeah, the edges blur sometimes, but they do with any group.

Also, for me, now I think about it, it's a fluid and horribly subjective term. The chav (there's another term to discuss) riding along the road in daylight, rolling a ciggie as he goes, not techincally endangering anyone, but not predictable, is a POB. An old lady riding carefully down a pedestrianised street isn't. She's not quite a Cyclist either, she's something else I haven't got a word for yet. Maybe that's the distinction - between Cyclist with a capital C and cyclist with a small c...

Sorry, I could ramble on for hours about this....

Cab

Anyone got a good alternative for POB? Its a handy way of pointing out that someone is an idiot on two wheels, it would be nice to have an alternative that doesn't offend anyone here?

How about Idiot in Bike (IOB)?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cab said:
Anyone got a good alternative for POB? Its a handy way of pointing out that someone is an idiot on two wheels, it would be nice to have an alternative that doesn't offend anyone here?

How about Idiot in Bike (IOB)?

That could work. (If you correct your typo of 'in' to 'on'..:smile:) Of course, I've quoted it now, so it's on record for ever...:blush:

Top Bottom