Suffolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Done a couple of mini tours wanders there recently.

May head back soon off season.

I think we have a few chatters that way.

Feel free to educate me about any delights, major/minor, quirky or whatever.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Suffolk Cycle Routes were designed by sadists. Including the lumpy ford at the bottom of a steep hill at Kersey is just mean. It's not even the shortest route to go where it goes.

After that, I've plotted my own routes. The National and Regional routes seem OK (well, as much as anywhere). B roads mostly OK, but A roads are often better avoided.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Ta for the response mjr but was more interested in stuff to see/enjoy. I don't have any particular attraction to designated routes. And in any case so much of the county appears to be nice quiet byways.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You might enjoy it, if you were a masochist!

Riding the minor road dual carriageway near Copdock that terminates in a tiny cycleway under pass crossing the A14 near Ipswich is an unusual experience but not that great IMO.

I can only think of the Two Rivers Way and signs indicating leaving Suffolk (train station signs, "Welcome to Norfolk", and so on) as particularly enjoyable. Maybe others have nuggets, but don't get your hopes up!

MikeG

Guru
What?! That's incredible nonsense, mjr. Suffolk has some of the very best cycling in the entire country. There are endless gorgeous villages, small quiet lanes, pleasant market towns, gentle rolling roads in rural areas, cracking coastal rides, and some decent hills if you want them. This extends down into north Essex to the proximity of Braintree.

Tell you what, Blue Hills, start yourself in Bures, and avoiding the main road to Colchester, you couldn't find a route in a days riding that was anything other than gorgeous. Mind you, don't start in Bures if you don't like hills.........every road is up!

Bodhbh

Guru
If you've been there already you probably know. Take a trip to Orford Ness, Orford itself is well worth a visit (castle and fish restaurant). Sutton Hoo is nearby too.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Lowestoft Oulton Broad Kessingland as far as I've got but I've driven to Southwold and all mentioned are great for cycling .. quaint villages scattered around A12 can't be beaten ..

AyJay

Über Member
Lowestoft Oulton Broad Kessingland as far as I've got but I've driven to Southwold and all mentioned are great for cycling .. quaint villages scattered around A12 can't be beaten ..

My part of the world. Love it. Don't forget the Broads.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
If you've been there already you probably know. Take a trip to Orford Ness, Orford itself is well worth a visit (castle and fish restaurant). Sutton Hoo is nearby too.
Know what bod, orford? Haven't been to orford, was in aldeburgh once but didn't have time before dark to do orford ness, partly delayed by nice fish and chips from a chippy which a nice pub next door allowed you to eat in its beer yard next door.

Top Bottom