1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suffolk

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Blue Hills, 17 Jan 2018.

1. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

If you're there on a Sunday, go sit on your bike under Gainsborough's statue in the market square, Sudbury, at 9.00am, and have a guided pootle in the countryside with Cycle Club Sudbury's Sunday club run. 40/ 45 miles with a cafe stop at half way, and they know what and where to avoid.

ETA, from the CCS website:

Last edited: 17 Jan 2018
    Blue Hills likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Tight lipped you suffolk folk i gather :smile:

classic33 likes this.
  3. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

There is a "five ferries" route from Felixtowe , north to Aldburgh.
    Deepest North Suffolk is beyond the tourist trail and has miles of country lanes and villages.

AyJay likes this.
  4. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

The CTC has based its annual birthday rides in Suffolk twice, at Framlingham, and the local group devised a large spread of routes to choose from every day, ranging from 20 miles to 80 miles in length. It was lovely cycling country. The routes must be out there somewhere, perhaps via the CTC, sorry CyclingUK, website.

AyJay likes this.
  5. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Reedham Ferry and the area round Acle worth a visit as well.

6. AyJay

AyJay Well-Known Member

We like it like that. Don't need too many "outsiders" spoiling things. :laugh:

7. There are some very nice villages in most directions from Lavenham, with fine timber-framed buildings dating from the 15th-16th century wool trade which made this area rich. Cavendish and Clare are well worth a look, and for example Hartest and Kersey.
    I was once told that Shimpling Road out of Hartest is Suffolk's steepest hill, but it is not that spectacular and I have no way of verifying this claim.

8. AyJay

AyJay Well-Known Member

A little venture into Norfolk. All very nice.

9. Check the timetables if you are thinking of taking the ferries across the various river mouths/estuaries, as they don't run year round.
    The Harwich-Shotley-Felixstowe ferry would fit in with various routes but IIRC only starts running in May.

10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

I'm just a cross border tart. Nearly always combine the two counties on my rides.

AyJay likes this.
  11. Felixstowe is nicer than you might expect. It has a long beach with a traditional bucket'n'spade feel, and it is worth riding to the southern tip to gawp at the size of the container terminal and watch the big boats.

Blue Hills likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Yes the impression I had.

Only drawback as it seemed to me on my two short trips was that the intensive agriculture made wild camping a problem.

13. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

There's lots of woodland........

YukonBoy likes this.
  14. If your interest extends to smaller London overspill estates of the 1960s and 70s attached to small market towns, you could look in at Haverhill and Great Cornard (by Sudbury) and judge for yourself the success of the policy 50 years later. It is, admittedly, not for everyone.

Blue Hills likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

ta, will look more closely.