Sugar in Tea ,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I am usually quite good at being able to put the brakes on things , but on a cold and or wet days on a building site a nice brew is one of the few comforts , usually 3 times a day , ( not big on builders teas btw , even after 40 years ! )
so leaving out the white stuff is a bit hard , but however , needs must , I read somewhere that Wiggins stopped taking sugar in tea , but that was for some marginal weight thing , I have tried green tea , it was quite nice ,
a bit more will power !!
I'll give it a shot for a few days over weekend while I'm away from work ,

I am usually quite good at being able to put the brakes on things , but on a cold and or wet days on a building site a nice brew is one of the few comforts , usually 3 times a day , ( not big on builders teas btw , even after 40 years ! )
so leaving out the white stuff is a bit hard , but however , needs must , I read somewhere that Wiggins stopped taking sugar in tea , but that was for some marginal weight thing , I have tried green tea , it was quite nice ,
a bit more will power !!
I'll give it a shot for a few days over weekend while I'm away from work ,
I am sorry if this is out of place = I don't want to undermine your health resolution - but if you have removed all the other added sugars from your diet, is 3 teaspoons/day really a problem? Assuming you can get used to tea with just one sugar, that is.

(500ml of coke - 12 tsp sugar, for comparison)

Tim Hall

Its old fashioned drinking sugar in teas and coffees, I'm shocked that people still add it. I thought people just bought sugar now for recipes.
OP just stop having it or you can get a replacement from the supermarket that doesnt have the calories things like Stevia and theres others.
Also if you like them, some of those fruit teas are quite sweet.
What's wrong with "old fashioned"?

The one time that I have kept a new years resolution was about 35 years ago, when I gave up sugar in tea and coffee.

I had already cut from 2 spoons per cup down to 1, but couldn't cope with less than 1 spoonful. Probably psychologically knowing there was not a full spoonful made drinks taste bad.

So I started drinking black coffee, which I had never, ever drunk. And as I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like, I found I could tolerate it. Which is ridiculous, considering it is probably stronger or more bitter than coffee with milk in.

After a couple of weeks, I tried a tea without sugar and found it bearable, and never looked back......

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I am sorry if this is out of place = I don't want to undermine your health resolution - but if you have removed all the other added sugars from your diet, is 3 teaspoons/day really a problem? Assuming you can get used to tea with just one sugar, that is.

(500ml of coke - 12 tsp sugar, for comparison)

A fair comment , that was my thinking also , what the hell , a small amount of sugar per cup , as I have 2 brews before I leave and about 3-4 in the evening plus the 3 during it would amount to possibly 1 kg a month , so on that , I decided to cut it , or at least try !
I've never as an adult been to keen on soft drink , though on a very hot day after work in when Australia , an ice cold bottle of Bundaberg Ginger Beer did the trick !

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
A fair comment , that was my thinking also , what the hell , a small amount of sugar per cup , but it would amount to possibly 1 kg a month , so on that , I decided to cut it , or at least try !
I've never as an adult been to keen on soft drink , though on a very hot day after work in when Australia , an ice cold bottle of Bundaberg Ginger Beer did the trick !
Use more than you, but nowhere near a kilo a month.

keithmac

Guru
Yorshire tea, splash of milk and two sugars for me.

Plenty of other things to worry about than ruining a nice brew and pretending to like it..

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
As mentioned earlier , Wiggins cut it out in his quest to drop weight for marginal gain , I've never really taken stock on how many bags we consume, my GF uses it on her cereal etc , but she assures me its prop around 2 bags a month , maybe our teaspoons are a bit on the big side !

Top Bottom