Sugar in Tea ,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's eight used in one like this
worlds-largest-coffee-3.jpg

That's not me.

Colin_P

Guru
Dont even have milk in tea , let alone coffee

For me tea and coffee is black no sugar, I can't remember when I last had sugar in them, and can barely remember when I had milk in my tea and coffee.

Try switching to having tea black.
You can start actually tasting the tea.
Use a good quality tea like twinings everyday and you ll find you so won't need to drink it in such large quantities.
Twinings Ceylon is my favourite but i have to scour all the supermarket s to find it.

Indeed adding cow juice is equally as ruinous to both tea and coffee as adding sugar is.

But like many I used have it white with two sugars, blech to that now though.

Both tea and coffee have to be black and so strong they give you a suntan.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5070864, member: 9609"]My wifes obsessed with baking, two cakes + a few puddings every week that I probably eat 90% of - I probably get through a kilo bag of sugar + a tub of marg every week just on cakes and puddings

Its truly frightening how much sugar and fat goes into making this stuff :eek:

anyway - what is "Builders Tea"? its been mentioned loads in this thread but I dont know what you're getting at ???
[/QUOTE]
You'd trot a mouse across the surface, it's that strong.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5070864, member: 9609"]My wifes obsessed with baking, two cakes + a few puddings every week that I probably eat 90% of - I probably get through a kilo bag of sugar + a tub of marg every week just on cakes and puddings

anyway - what is "Builders Tea"? its been mentioned loads in this thread but I dont know what you're getting at ???[/QUOTE]

According to folklore,men who worked in the construction industry liked their tea very strong and with lots of sugar in it. Three tea bags and four to five sugars for a pint pot of tea is the recipe,so i'm told.:cuppa:

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru

anyway - what is "Builders Tea"? its been mentioned loads in this thread but I dont know what you're getting at ???[/QUOTE]
image.jpeg

In the old days a men in the building trade used one of these , we called them brew cans , by the time the tea was made and drunk , yes you may well have been able to slice tea !

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Gave it up in tea and coffee over 30 years ago, the same way I stopped smoking. No weaning off, just stopped.
In the case of sugar, it was aided by circumstances. When my wife and I moved into our first house with few possessions, little money and enough provisions to keep us going for a couple of days or so whilst we moved in and cleaned the house from top to bottom, we discovered we had brought tea and coffee but no sugar. 24 hours later I didn't see the need to return to sugar. Salt in cooking and on food, went the same way for both of us at the same time, for the same reason.

Proto

Legendary Member
Go cold turkey. Takes a few days and then you'll never want sugar in tea again. This from personal experience.

I've now started drinking tea without milk. You can actually taste the tea now.

PS try loose tea instead of tea bags. You'll notice the difference!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I always took sugar in tea, until, I had a spell working in Russia and Ukraine (middle 1990's). It was possible to get what purported to be sugar, but, it came in the form of enormous cubes (approximately 3 cm each side). It looked like sugar, it did not taste like sugar, and, it did not dissolve like sugar. Although I did sample many things during my time there, (including a drink made from fermented stale bread), I decided to not risk the sugar, and have not taken sugar in tea or coffee ever since.

I also stopped taking milk in tea or coffee at this time, because it was impossible to get milk that was anywhere near fresh.

I can tell you, that time working in former USSR was an experience, not to be repeated, and, an excellent diet too, I lost a stone in weight.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I knew someone who went to work there in the early 90s and she was a vegetarian and some people didnt know what that meant. They just thought she didnt eat sausages.She said all there was really was meat and potoatoes so she had to eat meat as she couldnt just live just on potatoes. I hope things have got a bit better now for people it sounded a bit grim.

Grim is an understatement. I was not in any of the major cities (except brief spells in St Petersburg and Kiev), it was possible to get some food (potatoes, cucumber and cherries were our staple diet), but, meat was hardly ever available, and, when it was, it was of very indeterminate origin. That was my experience even when I had "hard currency" (US Dollars) in my pocket, how on earth the poor locals survived I could not understand. Small wonder they resorted to drinking "beer" made from stale bread!

All part of life rich experiences!

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Russia in the 1990s was in deep economic depression, but that was 20+ years ago and things are indeed different now. The politics of all that would be very interesting to discuss, in terms of how sugar as a commodity has reflected relative affluence, and class and power relationships. Perhaps that discussion will be possible again one day.
Have you read Sweetness & Power, TMN?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Russia in the 1990s was in deep economic depression, but that was 20+ years ago and things are indeed different now. The politics of all that would be very interesting to discuss, in terms of how sugar as a commodity has reflected relative affluence, and class and power relationships. Perhaps that discussion will be possible again one day.

While working and travelling there, I was in company with Russians, who were similar in age to me. While their standard of living was very much lower than ours (in Western Europe), it was interesting to hear their "version" of how things had "improved" (or otherwise), during the years since our respective births. The surprising thing (to me) was that their "booms" and "busts" very much mirrored my own experience.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is not political, When you work with Indian guys and they ask you to their houses do not say yes to a cup of tea made by their Mother/Aunt/Granny Sugar is very much part of their affluence and you're likely to get a cup with at least 4 teaspoons in it, the younger ones aren't too bad for this but for the older ones plenty of sugar is a sign of wealth and if you're offered 'Chai' or Masala Tea I'd say try it, just for the experience.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
This is not political, When you work with Indian guys and they ask you to their houses do not say yes to a cup of tea made by their Mother/Aunt/Granny Sugar is very much part of their affluence and you're likely to get a cup with at least 4 teaspoons in it, the younger ones aren't too bad for this but for the older ones plenty of sugar is a sign of wealth and if you're offered 'Chai' or Masala Tea I'd say try it, just for the experience.
Is chai that stuff they put tea bags in milk and boil it ?

Top Bottom