Suggest a cycle for a mid-life crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
:eek::eek:It can't be..............people born in 1967, as recently as that, will be 50 this year:eek::eek:EEEK!!!!
Summer of lurve, innit.

G3CWI

Veteran
Fast approaching The Big Five-Oh.
Should I buy a new road bike to celebrate?
What should I get?

You could get a really good cyclocross bike. I have had endless fun with mine, it opens up so many possibilities. Since I got it in late summer, the road bike has not been out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Really depends what your aspirations are.

Do you have a mid-life challenge in the back (or front) of your mind? LEJOG? Ride up a famous col? Do a TT of a certain distance in a certain time? An Audax endurance challenge? A particular sportive like l'Etape? (All these picked randomly from the top of my head)

If so then maybe pick a bike to suit. A bike for LEJOG may look very different from a bike for riding up Mt Ventoux. Not necessarily - a good all-rounder could cover all bases. But that's being boring and practical, but as a special treat you may be visualising yourself (say) summiting Ventoux on a blingy carbon bike or (say) emerging from the mist at JOG on a sturdy steelie.

Up to you entirely. Don't be put off by practical advice, and po-faced suggestions that you don't need certain things.

Last edited:

Rando

Veteran
It is my big five 0 this year too - I am also looking for a new bike to mark the occasion. I fancy a Ti road bike like an Enigma (not sure which exact model though) but am slightly concerned on the overall weight of a Ti bike so then I get swayed back to a carbon bike ! I have till September to decide although it would be nice to have the bike for the summer to get some sunny mies on it.
Anyone gone from carbon to a Ti bike and not felt disadvantaged climbing hills ? I know we are probably only talking about 1-2kg max but don't want to slurge my money on a Ti bike and then find it even harder getting up the big hills !

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It is my big five 0 this year too - I am also looking for a new bike to mark the occasion. I fancy a Ti road bike like an Enigma (not sure which exact model though) but am slightly concerned on the overall weight of a Ti bike so then I get swayed back to a carbon bike ! I have till September to decide although it would be nice to have the bike for the summer to get some sunny mies on it.
Anyone gone from carbon to a Ti bike and not felt disadvantaged climbing hills ? I know we are probably only talking about 1-2kg max but don't want to slurge my money on a Ti bike and then find it even harder getting up the big hills !
Have both a carbon bike (my Viner) and a Ti (Litespeed). The latter has a rack, mudguards, 35mm wired tyres rather than 23 & 25mm folding…difference in speed over the same roads, flat or lumpy, negligible to non-existent.

dim

Have both a carbon bike (my Viner) and a Ti (Litespeed). The latter has a rack, mudguards, 35mm wired tyres rather than 23 & 25mm folding…difference in speed over the same roads, flat or lumpy, negligible to non-existent.

I read somewhere that for every 1 pound of extra weight (your body or your bike), you loose 1 minute per 10 km on hills using the same power/effort (so if you are 5 pounds overweight or you ride a bike that is 5 pounds heavier than another bike, you will loose 5 minutes on a 10km climb) .... on a long ride such as an audax ride, with lots of hills, that can make a big difference (if you are competitive)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I read somewhere that for every 1 pound of extra weight (your body or your bike), you loose 1 minute per 10 km on hills using the same power/effort (so if you are 5 pounds overweight or you ride a bike that is 5 pounds heavier than another bike, you will loose 5 minutes on a 10km climb) .... on a long ride such as an audax ride, with lots of hills, that can make a big difference (if you are competitive)
For most people, pish..

dim

For most people, pish..

not pish .... or is it?

bikeman66

Fast approaching The Big Five-Oh.
Should I buy a new road bike to celebrate?
What should I get?
I'm a year in to road bikes, fairly fit. 14 stone 5 and 5'11".
Is a crisis approaching if I think I can step up from a steel-frame to something "modern" and carve out a more cutting dash on the byroads?
Budget? £1967 of course.
Been looking at one of these for myself. £2,300 down to £899. Massive saving on your budget means a right Royal 50th birthday piss-up can be had..........and you'll still be quids in! You know it's right!

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/sale/...ompe-1-0-athena-carbon-road-bike-for45-1.html

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, I've seen that principle first-hand. There's a climb near where I live that ascends 300m with an average 4.3% grade, and I climbed it many times on a 15kg touring bike. Then I finally got a road bike, which weighs 8kg, and was able to equal my previous best time up the climb without trying very hard. That extra 7kg made a big difference. I occasionally use the road bike for commuting, when I'm partway through replacing parts or doing repairs on the touring bike I normally use to commute, and always notice how much easier the hills are.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I've a good few bikes for different jobs, but fancy a great frame that will see me out. Loose plan is to join a mate to do coast of GB ( year by year we'll take off a chunk or two in summer until we turn up out toes). All done as fast as possible day rides or credit card tours with very little gear. Currently favour getting a decent steel frame made and maybe a good s/h donor bike for the components.
I class a bicycle as one of the tools, so don't hold much sway by fancy paint or materials. Would rather have a great fitting and really useful frame that just did the job.
There's a separate budget for the party.

Top Bottom