Suggest a cycle for a mid-life crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I've a good few bikes for different jobs, but fancy a great frame that will see me out. Loose plan is to join a mate to do coast of GB ( year by year we'll take off a chunk or two in summer until we turn up out toes). All done as fast as possible day rides or credit card tours with very little gear. Currently favour getting a decent steel frame made and maybe a good s/h donor bike for the components.
I class a bicycle as one of the tools, so don't hold much sway by fancy paint or materials. Would rather have a great fitting and really useful frame that just did the job.
There's a separate budget for the party.
If it's just a frame you are considering then as well as Rourke it's also worth looking at Shand cycles based in Scotland, superb artisan frame builders.

snorri

Legendary Member
Fast approaching The Big Five-Oh. Should I buy a new road bike to celebrate? Is a crisis approaching if I think I can step up from a steel-frame to something "modern" and carve out a more cutting dash on the byroads?
Yes and No, not a crisis but a new beginning..
I've just realised it was around that time of life I bought my Dawes Galaxy which continues to give me pleasure and satisfaction, also wonderful memories of the places we have travelled around Europe and the people met from around the world.
I suspect you like to cycle faster than me and I cannot recommend a bicycle, but wish you well in your choice:smile:.

Tojo

Über Member
I've just turned 52 and have just bought this.....
canvas.png

Love it, smooth, comfortable and doesn't rattle you're half century old skeleton like a ultra stiff modern race bred road steed....I'm reborn.....:okay::cuppa:

Oh, and it makes you feel good when you overtake all the MTB'rs on the cycle tracks...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I spent a short time this morning looking in what i would normally call a boutique bike shop , it was full of some very tasty looking Genesis and Ridleys for sure

dim

If you are looking for a good steel frame, have a look at the Light Blue Bikes
http://www.lightbluecycles.co.uk/Sport/complete-bikes

I often cycle past an LBS in Cambridge that stocks them, and they look like really well made bikes and the paintwork and detail of the frames is very good. You can choose a frame and they will build a bike to your specs .... The O'P's budget will get him a good one with decent wheels and a good groupset.

I also think that they would make really good audax bikes
5lb-stjohns-2016-fa.jpg

5lb-st-johns-mg-side-a.jpg

freiston

Veteran
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I've a good few bikes for different jobs, but fancy a great frame that will see me out. Loose plan is to join a mate to do coast of GB ( year by year we'll take off a chunk or two in summer until we turn up out toes). All done as fast as possible day rides or credit card tours with very little gear. Currently favour getting a decent steel frame made and maybe a good s/h donor bike for the components.
I class a bicycle as one of the tools, so don't hold much sway by fancy paint or materials. Would rather have a great fitting and really useful frame that just did the job.
There's a separate budget for the party.
I reckon that the best frame material for longevity has to be titanium. For a good fit and something apt for fast/credit touring and considering that you're already in Yorkshire, if I were in your shoes, I would be going down to Spa Cycles and test-riding some of their titanium offerings. They're all around your budget too.

mustang1

Guru
That is a fair budget why not get a nice new made to order steelie , then you can grow old together
Don't they rust?

Top Bottom