Suggest a cycle for a mid-life crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I've just turned 52 and have just bought this..... View attachment 333527

Love it, smooth, comfortable and doesn't rattle you're half century old skeleton like a ultra stiff modern race bred road steed....I'm reborn.....:okay::cuppa:

Oh, and it makes you feel good when you overtake all the MTB'rs on the cycle tracks...:thumbsup:

Looks nice that I am a fan of Cube bikes. Which model is it?

Tojo

Über Member
Looks nice that I am a fan of Cube bikes. Which model is it?

Its a 2017 cross race pro......:cheers:

Reckon you could get this for under £2k (Global Bike?) 6.7kgs, very handy when the old legs aren't wot they used to be :wacko:
15441-e998779f56d30d2f091156624535aa97.png

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Its a 2017 cross race pro......:cheers:

I am going to have a look at that. Just a pity it's just a little above the CTW threshold but I think some dealers let you get away with that.....^_^

Just a question - would you describe it as a heavy bike?

Thanks for the info.

Think I've nailed it down to a Condor stainless road bike. My LBS is a dealer; I like the classic look; maybe a bit too much ££ compared to Rourke et al, but you only live once.

Nice as Condors are I'd have gone for something like a Rourke;guy in our club has one and it's really stunning.

I'd be tempted to make a trip to this if I was after something special;

http://www.bespoked.cc/

Or this guy,local as well;

http://www.feathercycles.com/?post_type=portfolio

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Feather makes great bikes but has a year's waiting list! Rourke are fine frames but I've had a day on a Condor and I'm pretty impressed. Thanks for the link. First world problem of too much choice.

Tojo

Über Member
I am going to have a look at that. Just a pity it's just a little above the CTW threshold but I think some dealers let you get away with that.....^_^

Just a question - would you describe it as a heavy bike?

Thanks for the info.

Cube list it at 10.2kg just weighed mine and its 9.7kg but mine is only a 50cm frame, I like the bike and it doesn't feel heavy when your on it....I like the standard equipment it comes with and haven't even changed the saddle as I usually use the same Selle Italia C2 on all my bikes......:thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Feather makes great bikes but has a year's waiting list! Rourke are fine frames but I've had a day on a Condor and I'm pretty impressed. Thanks for the link. First world problem of too much choice.
I would certainly visit the Bespoked show.
I had a custom Rourke 853 Audax built to my specification and it's perfect, unique and always draws admiration as there are so few about compared to the big manufacturers.
Bespoked show will give you a much more interesting view of how a bicycle can be. The hardest thing is to think what you want the bike to do/be!

These were my criteria when I boiled-down all the options:

For me, I could never find an off the peg bike that fitted me properly, so custom was the first call. That makes steel or titanium.
It had to take mudguards for winter use
It had to have Dynamo lights and hub for winter/Night rides
It had to be flexible in terms of load-lugging BUT not a full-on touring
Wheels needed to be strong and durable but not tourer weight
When unloaded it needed to feel stiff and lively for evening club runs (I can stick lightweight wheels, remove guards and swap-out the Brooks saddle on it and it really moves!!!!)
It had to be simple i.e readily fixable in the middle of no-where (hence DT shifters and a rear hub that dissembles without tools!)
It had to be reliable i.e low maintainance and a bike I could just blow the tyres-up and go!
It had to take a full length pump
I wanted 3 bottle cages (again for flexibility)
It had to take a rear rack for Panniers if the need arised
It needed ways to run wiring cables tidily but not internally
Regular brakes not discs

I'm sure your list will be different, but for me it's good to write down the usages, the things you want/need first and then go from there.
My solution is for me and it worked out very nicely :-)

Winter Club runs mode.... (tools etc. in underslung bottle cage)

IMG_1483.JPG

Max Touring mode without Bar-bag (Rarely used like this but works fine):

IMG_2987.JPG

Lighter Camping/Touring mode (have since reduced kit further)

IMG_5234.JPG

Typical 'Every-day' FNRttC, long days out mode (Rear-rack now removed and replaced with Carradice Bagman to reduce weight and look better!):

IMG_5166.JPG

What's your dream?????

Top Bottom