Suggest hubs / rims for my wheel build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
For Christmas, I got booked onto the Edinburgh Bike Coop's all-day wheel building course. I'd like to build myself a nice set of wheels but I'm not sure of the components I should use, and I need to order parts before the course.

My requirements are:

Around £100 for the parts to make the set
Black wheels
32 or 36 hole
Using Mavic Open Sport or Open Pro rims
Strong enough to withstand daily commutes across Edinburgh

I'm not sure about the hubs to use.

What would YOU recommend?

Cheers!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
At least 105 hubs. Open pro rims are expensive but worth the money. you could probably pick up very cheap 2nd hand hubs on ebay tbh

The easy way is to buy a ready built pair and then take them apart - shopping around I find that they are even cheaper than the total of the individual components!

mercurykev

If you're looking for bombproof wheels, and your frame can handle the 135mm OLN spacing, I'd go with MTB hubs. You can get a pair of shimano XT M770 (Ultegra quality) hubs from Parkers for £55. As for rims, Rigida Chrinas compare very well with Open Pros but are half the price - Spa Cycles do them for £18 a hoop. Spa are also good for spokes, which will probably cost you another £15. That would give you a set for just over £100.

yashicamat

mercurykev said:
If you're looking for bombproof wheels, and your frame can handle the 135mm OLN spacing, I'd go with MTB hubs. You can get a pair of shimano XT M770 (Ultegra quality) hubs from Parkers for £55. As for rims, Rigida Chrinas compare very well with Open Pros but are half the price - Spa Cycles do them for £18 a hoop. Spa are also good for spokes, which will probably cost you another £15. That would give you a set for just over £100.

Spa will also do a fully built wheelset for £129 which is worth considering unless the OP especially wants to build the wheels.

bauldbairn

goo_mason said:
For Christmas, I got booked onto the Edinburgh Bike Coop's all-day wheel building course. I'd like to build myself a nice set of wheels....

Good Luck! :biggrin:

Let us know how you get on - pics etc.

bauldbairn

yashicamat said:
I need to read things properly before I reply.:biggrin::blush:

Don't worry about it -I did it on here last week, didn't notice till somebody questioned my reply - then I read the OP properly(doh!:o). Quickly back tracked though.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yashicamat said:
Spa will also do a fully built wheelset for £129 which is worth considering unless the OP especially wants to build the wheels.

I actually think buying the wheelset and taking apart and rebuilding would be a good idea. You can see clearly how it's been put together and also do your own measurements and see how they compare for spoke lengths.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
mickle said:
Hand built wheels deserve better than Shi**no hubs.

Hope Pro3s would be on my list.

That would be nice if I'd won the lottery... ;)

For my first attempt at building, I'm quite happy to go for cheaper hubs. Once I start getting better at it I'll consider upping the component standards somewhat. Thanks for the suggestions so far though - keep them coming!

Top Bottom