suggested route for Newbie JELoG ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CafGriff

^_^ ok Peeps!! Get your jackets on, we're off !!:bicycle: Loafer!!! Yes Another route!!!
I'm aimimg for YHA's or cheap n clean accomm's so suggestions for these I will be all ears!!:laugh:

I'm off doing The Epic from Lands End on March 8th Sat - 8.ooam ( yes ) on the A30, it's the only road in Cornwall! and the quickest way out of the county. onwards to Newquay secured accomm, Thats Sun after 63 miles. / to Bridgewater - 70 miles suggestions for a bed please :rolleyes: - on to Goodrich ( Welsh Bicknor ) 73 miles thats on the Tues 11th March / to Clun, 54 miles ( suggestion for a bed please :blush: ) on to Poulton - Le - Fylde 71 miles, staying with family / to keswick, 78 miles ( Sat 15th ) on to Moffat, 73 miles ( accom suggestions here please ) Mon 17th I'll be heading in to Glasgow after 60 miles - definate suggestions for accom here please !? ) then Tues over to Bridge of Orchy, over night stay Wed 19th to Kilfinnan, 60 miles / Inverness or further 43 miles/ to Crask inn, 65 miles on the Fri 21st / to Betty Hill 32 miles and finally JOG!!!!!
Then I'm off to either Wick ( or back to Thurso ) to jump on the train to journey home.:eek:
Yes, I know, I'm leaving it late to finalise the plan of invasion - oh! I mean trip of a life time, BUT I have stewed oever this isuse - as I'm sure - EVERY LEJoGger has but a number of issues have hurdled me and been a pain for me to overcome. :tongue:
Guys!! Come join me!!:hugs: come show me a better way or Shout at me if you think this is all rubbish!! :cheers:

MikeG

Guru
JeLog? That typo would make it an interesting trip!! :smile:

Book your trip home, and particularly that of your bike, before you do anything else. It is amazing how primitive and ridiculous the situation is at Thurso or Wick for transporting bikes. We actually posted our bikes home because we couldn't get tickets for them on the train.

I'm not keen on your route through Scotland, but each to their own.

Mike

alans

black belt lounge lizard

Book your trip home, and particularly that of your bike, before you do anything else. It is amazing how primitive and ridiculous the situation is at Thurso or Wick for transporting bikes. We actually posted our bikes home because we couldn't get tickets for them on the train.

Mike

my bold
so Stone Age in fact that I decided to start at JoG & finish at LE.
The original plan to get home was a doddle using a train from Penzance;& cheap.

In the event I was chaffuered to a hotel on the Lizard Peninsula for 5 days R&R & then driven home.

I used B&B's,hotels,a hostel,pub accommodation.I can recommend Bettyhill Hotel&The Crask Inn.

The A30:stop:
I'd not ride it for a pension several pensions even
It's not the only road out of Cornwall.It is Cornwall's only motorway,in all but name.
There are several routes which add little or no journey time & not much mileage.BTDTGTTS.

but each to their own & I wish you continuous tailwind,constant sunshine,permenant downhills, &many many happy moments for future memories

snorri

Legendary Member
You should not have any difficulty finding accommodation or booking bike on train in March, besides the uncertainty adds to the excitement of the venture.:smile:
Enjoy it!

MikeG

Guru
There's been a lot of talk about avoiding the A30, sounds pretty dangerous to me.

We did LE- Hayle- Portreath- Redruth- Scorrier- Skinner's Bottom- Mt Hawke- St Agnes- Perenporth- Goonhaven- St Columb Major- Wadebridge- Camelford- Tresmeer- Egloskerry- Launceston- Polson Bridge- Lifton- Newton Down- Lewdown- Bridestowe and so on along the old A30 route (now a series of minor back lanes).

Glasgow to Bridge of Orchy means one road. A82. You want to cycle that at the northern end of Loch Lomond? It is worse than the A30 dual carriageway out of Cornwall in my opinion. There is a cycle route for the lower half of Loch Lomond, but the northern end from Ardleiu is murder and probably a better attempt at suicide that you will have on the A30. It is narrow, winding, exceptionally busy, the surface is horrendous and there are frequent rock falls. not to mention that there is no room for manoeuvre if something does happen and even the smallest cars will have difficulty overtaking you. I know some will say they have ridden it, but my childhood playground was just south of Rannoch Moor (not far from Bridge of Orchy) and I know the road has been a lot worse in the past, but even so, there is still a seriously bad section to negotiate and the last time I was there (September 2013) it had not improved along that section in the slightest.

Is you plan a 'shortest fastest route' option or something you want to enjoy? I ask because I have to pop out now, but can try to come up with an alternative for you later.

MikeG

Guru
Glasgow to Bridge of Orchy means one road. A82. You want to cycle that at the northern end of Loch Lomond?......

This is exactly why we went via Edinburgh and the east coast.

Even the cycle path you mention for the lower half of the route is difficult for loaded road bikes, apparently. Particularly in March when it may well still be wet and muddy.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
The A30:stop:
I'd not ride it for a pension several pensions even
It's not the only road out of Cornwall.It is Cornwall's only motorway,in all but name.
We don't have any motorways in Cornwall- a fact we're proud of, infact you need to get as far as Exeter before you reach one.
I would recommend the route @MikeG has suggested- the A30 would be not safe, not very fun and not very scenic in comparison.

Nanook

Regular
There's been a lot of talk about avoiding the A30, sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Was it just last year when 2 LEJOG'ers got killed on that road? I've just started planning my trip in late August and early September. I've been on the CTC website where they will provide three different routes, one of which avoids main roads as much as is possible. So that'll be the one for me! And as others have mentioned, the A82 is absolutely awful to drive let alone cycle and I should know as I travelled it for work for many years.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For accommodation around Clun I can't offer any personal recommendations but the list on this site may be helpful to you: http://www.visitsouthshropshire.co.uk/clun/accommodation-clun.php From that list the White Horse Inn in Clun specifically claims to be cyclist friendly.

There's also this: http://www.cyclistswelcome.co.uk/by_location/all?distance=10&place=clun&lat=52.419476&lng=-3.032585

You could consider looking in Bishop's Castle as well, which is only about 5 miles further up the road in the right general direction.

I'll also say avoid the A30 when travelling through Cornwall. I've driven it a few times and can't imagine it being at all pleasant to cycle on.

OP
OP
CafGriff

CafGriff

Mike
Hi Mike!! ^_^
Yep, my bike and I sorted at the JoG end .... I have a marvellous girl pal, who has agreed to travel up from Plymouth, to come get me, so that is sorted. I am open to any suggestion with regards the route, so please be free to make any suggs:bicycle:I'm following the route laid down by the Cicerone little brown book guide, going by me - averaging 70 miles a day with the ratio of travelling @ 10 - 12 mph. There is a slight change from yesterday, I now longer need to touch Nailsea nr Bristol , nor Poulton - le - Fylde, nr Blackpool so shall be plughing on through:thumbsup: I have the STAVA app on my phone along with the Streetcycle scene 'thingie' too, and I'm taking cut down maps to follow the outes and written ' key town names' for easy reading whilst peddling. I have joined YHA and will book ahaed over this next coming weekend, ( although a few B & B's i have contacted have stated they don't open until March 28th ) !!!. Speak tonight!??
Or come see me on my trip, bring your camera too and I buy you a pint!!

OP
OP
CafGriff

CafGriff

Glasgow to Bridge of Orchy means one road. A82. You want to cycle that at the northern end of Loch Lomond? It is worse than the A30 dual carriageway out of Cornwall in my opinion. There is a cycle route for the lower half of Loch Lomond, but the northern end from Ardleiu is murder and probably a better attempt at suicide that you will have on the A30. It is narrow, winding, exceptionally busy, the surface is horrendous and there are frequent rock falls. not to mention that there is no room for manoeuvre if something does happen and even the smallest cars will have difficulty overtaking you. I know some will say they have ridden it, but my childhood playground was just south of Rannoch Moor (not far from Bridge of Orchy) and I know the road has been a lot worse in the past, but even so, there is still a seriously bad section to negotiate and the last time I was there (September 2013) it had not improved along that section in the slightest.

Is you plan a 'shortest fastest route' option or something you want to enjoy? I ask because I have to pop out now, but can try to come up with an alternative for you later.
Hey :girl: ..... I'm off to work no, but I plan to get back on the keyboard tonight after 7.30pm. I am deff up for following The Bee Gee's suggestion in 'Staying Alive', so yr most welcome suggestions with regards the route is being met with open arms and huge ears.
I thinl I'm panicking slightly now, and must have confidence in my ability to follow a map, an app on my phone and stick to my plan to average around 70 miles daily, stopping off at Clean and cheerful B & B's and YHA's or SYHA ( that's if they are open ) !!
Spaek laterz!! :laugh:

OP
OP
CafGriff

CafGriff

We did LE- Hayle- Portreath- Redruth- Scorrier- Skinner's Bottom- Mt Hawke- St Agnes- Perenporth- Goonhaven- St Columb Major- Wadebridge- Camelford- Tresmeer- Egloskerry- Launceston- Polson Bridge- Lifton- Newton Down- Lewdown- Bridestowe and so on along the old A30 route (now a series of minor back lanes).

Top Bottom