Suggested winter lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
Hello

I've been riding again for a few months now after several years of non-activity on the cycling front.

I note that my chain (on an old Raleigh Equippe) is looking pretty rusty, as well as getting noisy

I suppose that's no surprise as I washed the bike and never put on any lubricant, when I dug it out of the shed in September.

What are the best lubrication options for protection of the chain, gears etc.

Previously and as a kid, I used to use whatever dad had in his is little red oil can to oil my bikes, but of course, that red can has now vanished.

There are probably better options too

Regards ! and Happy Christmas to all !!:eek:

snorri

Legendary Member
Washing the chain and not lubing afterwards, it sounds as if you don't worry too much.:ohmy:
Any cheap oil will be better than your present maintenance regime, It's a waste of money putting on expensive oils for general use, IMO.:eek:

rusky

CC Addict
I would first replace the chain. Use something like Finish Line wet lube & apply using the Mickle Method;)

OP
OP
wbmkk

wbmkk

Veteran
Thanks for that Snorri

It's not really that I don't care

My wife and I care for my elderly father who has Alzheimer's so time is always a premium.

I was actually going to buy a new bike a few months ago, so just got the old bioke out as a very short term measure.

Unfortunately, at the start of September I lost my job and company car meaning the new bike idea had to be put on hold. Th bike became my only form of commuting, but of course during the dry weather I never really noticed any problems. My mind is obviously on other matters.

The bike was a good bike in it's day and I really want to do it properly.

Regards !

snorri

Legendary Member
That puts a different light on things wbmkk.
Even in tough times, I would be inclined to follow advice from rusky re new chain. I had a falling off when an old chain broke after I thought I had freed it and lubed it thoroughly.
I'm inclined to think the regularity of lubing is more important than the quality of the lubricant.:eek:
I had a Raleigh Equipe at one time, it served me well.:ohmy:

OP
OP
wbmkk

wbmkk

Veteran
I think I’ll do as suggested and get a new chain. The chain on the bike now is the original, so it hasn’t done tool badly to last this long.

Had a quick look on the internet and there seem to be hundreds of chains available, with prices from a few quid up and up. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have 6 cogs at the rear.

I may as well get a few items if I’m ordering on-line so will get wet lube and dry lube, for next year obviously

Two brands seem popular and widely available

Finish Line Teflon Plus dry lube
Finish Line Cross Country wet lube

Weldtite TF2 Plus dry lube
Weldtite TF2 Extreme wet lube

Are these pretty much as good as each other ? or is one brand better ?

I’ll get Weldtite degreaser too

Many thanks !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Finish line cross country (aka Finish line green) is a good winter lube for the simple reason that it doesn't wash-out too easily in the rain. Otherwise any oil will do if you regularly use the mickle method... wipe-lube-wipe-lube-wipe. Baby wipes are excellent for the job of wiping. You don't need degreaser, ever, leave the oil IN the chain around the pins where the wear happens, oil on the outside is 99.9% cosmetic preventing rust. In the winter, better too much lube than not enough.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Finish Line Cross Country is a favourite here as well.
Having said that, have recently tried Green Oil which managed 200+ miles before it needed re-applying, even after being ridden through a flood!

Dave5N

Über Member
Oil.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A word of advice from a fellow alzheimer relative - don't let your Dad get hold of the bike! My Dad suddenly took it into his head that he wanted to go jogging - we couldn't stop him so guess who got the job of following to make sure he found his way home? You guessed it!

Anyway Finish Line is what you need.

Top Bottom