Cassette on kickr core to winter wheel Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pb63

Veteran
Hi all,

After a bit of advice. I recently bought a new kickr core smart trainer. I'm using my winter bike on it but want to be able to remove my bike quickly and simply occasionally when the weather is nice to ride outside. I've been removing the cassette each time from the trainer to my winter wheels to do this. However recently I bought a new cassette which is 11 25t whereas the one on my bike is 11 34t 10 speed.

Now when I first tried the new cassette on my existing chain of course it ran rough and I expected this. While the chain is not overly worn (I checked with a tool) it is worn enough to the 11 34t cassette for it to work nice and smooth with a 11-25t cassette. So I changed the chain to my summer chain which I use on my summer wheels with a 11-25t cassette. Now this chain has had relatively little use and is under a year old so I expected it to run smoothly being worn to the same type cassette albeit ultegra to tiagra. It was an improvement but still a sense of grind going on.

My question is, do you think I need a new chain dedicated to my trainer / winter bike with matching cassettes on trainer and winter wheel so that I can just pop the wheel on without faffing with changing cassettes and chains each time I want a proper ride? Or do you think it could be a spacer / indexing issue? The gears are all indexed correctly but I couldn't help notice that the derailleur hanger was very slightly out of angle on the 11 25 compared to the 11 34, which is why I thought it might be a spacer issue as I don't need to re index or fiddle with screws when swapping between wheels and cassette types on the bike itself when using it outside if that makes sense.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chain long enough ? So may need to adjust the b screw to move the jockey away from the bigger sprocket (34)

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
I don't need to make such adjustments to the b screw when using the 11 25 summer chain on the 11 25 cassette I have on my summer wheels? So why would I need to on the trainer? As you can tell I'm at pains to mess around with the setup which works when the bike is using wheels instead of trainer.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Ideally you’d have the same cassette size on your wheel and trainer. With the two significantly different cassettes you have you will have a compromised chain length on at least one cassette. Having to swap chain and/or adjust B screws seems more faff than simply having two cassettes the same range and having, at worst, to make small indexing adjustments.

Or you need a new bike. N+1 innit.

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Id love another bike 🤣

I think what I'll try is taking the cassette off my summer wheels which is 11 25t. See if that works smoothly with the summer chain to which it is matched. If it does then I know I need a new chain and like you say two cassettes of the same between trainer and winter wheel. If doesn't work then I know it's an adjustment issue.

Thanks for helping me with the logic

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I run identical spec cassettes on my back wheel and direct drive trainer (not same make as yours but same principle applies). No problems.

Top Bottom