Suggestions for Beginner on Bkool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey all,

So I've gotten my TacX Vortex Smart trainer and have my Nishiki MTB on it with a smooth tire (it's more like a hybrid bike). Finally got my old Laptop cleaned up enough that it runs Bkool without too much issue so far. I did a quick 10 minute test last night and everything appears to work.

Now, I have a few questions and also looking for some suggestions. I apologize in advance is this gets lengthy.

1. I noticed that unless I'm pedaling 80 rpm and in my hardest gear I seem to always be in Virtual speed and it seems awfully low to me. Is this because of my weight, 250lbs (113kg)?

2. I'm admittedly in the worst shape of my life. I recently took a desk job after being an alarm technician and I've put on 30 lbs and I could of stood to loose 10 or 15 in the first place. This is my attempt to get back in shape and then some. I used to ride MTB quite a bit 15 or 20 years ago. Now at 35, I haven't been on my bikes much at all for years. What are some good groups or leagues I can join that have shorter rides for beginners to get started with, or should I just work on my fitness for a few weeks before even attempting it?

3. I'm on the east coast in the US. I've noticed that most of the people on here are from the UK and surrounding areas, so that puts me 4 hours or so behind you guys. Is it worth joining the leagues you guys run, if and when I'm ready? I'm new to Bkool, so not sure how that all works and maybe it's so far out of my fitness zone right now that it doesn't matter.

The bottom line here is I'm looking for some suggestions to get rolling without having a heart attack in my basement. 20 minute rides are probably what I'm aiming at for a little while and I'll go from there. I have a 9 month old that doesn't let me disappear for long periods of time anyway. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I know the biggest thing is to get on my trainer and pedal, but motivation is always an issue for me and the competition and "video game like" appeal of Bkool has me excited to get started.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most of my comments are in your text:okay:

Hey all,

So I've gotten my TacX Vortex Smart trainer and have my Nishiki MTB on it with a smooth tire (it's more like a hybrid bike). Finally got my old Laptop cleaned up enough that it runs Bkool without too much issue so far. I did a quick 10 minute test last night and everything appears to work.

Now, I have a few questions and also looking for some suggestions. I apologize in advance is this gets lengthy.

1. I noticed that unless I'm pedaling 80 rpm and in my hardest gear I seem to always be in Virtual speed and it seems awfully low to me. Is this because of my weight, 250lbs (113kg)? what speed, inclination, indicated watts? remove privacy so other riders can see your rides. post a ride link

2. I'm admittedly in the worst shape of my life. I recently took a desk job after being an alarm technician and I've put on 30 lbs and I could of stood to loose 10 or 15 in the first place. This is my attempt to get back in shape and then some. I used to ride MTB quite a bit 15 or 20 years ago. Now at 35, I haven't been on my bikes much at all for years. What are some good groups or leagues I can join that have shorter rides for beginners to get started with, or should I just work on my fitness for a few weeks before even attempting it? There are many, this site has 'chaingang', 'handicap', 'mountain goat' and 'moose' leagues. You can join any by making a request o join from the bkool website, not the simulator

3. I'm on the east coast in the US. I've noticed that most of the people on here are from the UK and surrounding areas, so that puts me 4 hours or so behind you guys. Is it worth joining the leagues you guys run, if and when I'm ready? I'm new to Bkool, so not sure how that all works and maybe it's so far out of my fitness zone right now that it doesn't matter. You can join in the 'live' rides highlighted above if you're around. Tuesday UK 8pm(-4hours EST) Thursday 7pm UK, rerun Saturday 5pm UK. Some leagues are fitted in between these if you have time and strength. Good bit you can do these leagues in your own time by scheduling them, add ghosts who are in the league so you can compete against them. You need to let friends and league members see your rides in the privacy settings We have all varying abilities in the leagues, so don't worry where you come its good fun and you're getting fit.

Ride at your pace and you will get fitter, just be patient and consistent with your riding.

The bottom line here is I'm looking for some suggestions to get rolling without having a heart attack in my basement. 20 minute rides are probably what I'm aiming at for a little while and I'll go from there. I have a 9 month old that doesn't let me disappear for long periods of time anyway. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I know the biggest thing is to get on my trainer and pedal, but motivation is always an issue for me and the competition and "video game like" appeal of Bkool has me excited to get started.
There are plenty of short rides, flat, hilly or both, choose these for a few weeks to get you going, that is what I did when I got my trainer. Other riders might drop in with your live ride or add ghost(previous rider who have done this course). Join the leagues either way watch them or have a go. Jump into the main Bkool thread and enjoy the banter, Jlaw and RandyBerlin are USA fellas who ride in the leagues with us UK chaps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
Most of my comments are in your text:okay:

There are plenty of short rides, flat, hilly or both, choose these for a few weeks to get you going, that is what I did when I got my trainer. Other riders might drop in with your live ride or add ghost(previous rider who have done this course). Join the leagues either way watch them or have a go. Jump into the main Bkool thread and enjoy the banter, Jlaw and RandyBerlin are USA fellas who ride in the leagues with us UK chaps.

Thanks for the reply Andy! Now that I have a few rides under my belt I'm getting a little more familiar. They've been short rides thus far. Planning to put in at least 20 minutes tomorrow so I can get a Fitness benchmark. Glad to see there are a couple fellow US riders on here, I'd like to get to the point where I can ride with you guys. Sounds like lots of fun.

I didn't realize there was privacy settings on Bkool, I'll have to check that out and post a ride on here. I have a cousin that compete's in both road racing and Mountain bike. I guess he's on Bkool and said he'd help me setup training plans, I'm kinda scared.....haha. Thanks for the tips!!

Top Bottom