Suggestions for long distance ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longdistancenovice

Hi, my friend and I are looking for suggestions for our next long distance ride. We did London to Paris a couple of years ago, across 4.5 days. Last year, we did the Chiltern Cycleway over 2 days.
We were thinking of doing the Trans Pennine Trail in 3 days, but I gather the route is rather rough in places. My friend struggles with that kind of surface so we're thinking it might not be the best plan. The two we've done have been fine. London to Paris had a lot of off-road but the surfaces were pretty good and the Chiltern Cycleway was mostly on road. We are looking for something of a similar kind of distance, in the UK, but not quite as rough going as the Trans Pennine. We don't mind a few hills. Any suggestions?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hadrians cycle way over 3 days?

Cardiff to Conway over 3 days?

Both can be done via train at both ends.

MikeG

Guru
I haven't done it, but how about the Fosse Way? It's an old Roman road from Exeter to Lincoln, through Leicester, Bath, Cirencester, Ilchester. Lots of history. You'll need to route around some of the busier sections, but it's something I've thought about doing. 270 miles.

Big T

Guru
I haven't done it, but how about the Fosse Way? It's an old Roman road from Exeter to Lincoln, through Leicester, Bath, Cirencester, Ilchester. Lots of history. You'll need to route around some of the busier sections, but it's something I've thought about doing. 270 miles.

The old Fosse Way from Halford in the north Cotswolds to Sharnford, just south of Leicester is not a bad route. Mostly unclassified or a B road, it gets a bit of local traffic, but it's not a major route so not too busy. The rest of the Fosse Way forms the A46 north of Leicester going up to Lincoln. This is a fast dual carraigeway for the most part and not a pleasant road to ride on, though parts of it have been bypassed, leaving the quiet old road intact. I live about half a mile away from the Saxondale junction between the Fosse Way and the A52.

I would suggest one of the side to side routes - Reivers route, Hadrians Cycleway, CtoC, Way of the Roses.

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Devon coast to coast .
Or circumnavigate Devon - around the 340-mile mark. Hilly in places. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10741476

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Do you have a favourite bit of it Paul?

Through the Eden Valley would be my favourite section. I feel the northern half from Appleby is nicer than the southern. I really didn't enjoy the section before, is it Snake Pass or Woodhead, where it follows the resevoir - I got lost, wet, cold, the surface was grim and I had to bail on to the A57 which was not good!

I rode the full length 20+ years ago but I've done Appleby to Berwick three times.

Top Bottom