Suicide Squirrel Squad (Animal Near Misses)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sheep on remote roads are a pain. Hit a cat once, no idea what happened to it, I was too busy picking myself up. nearly got flattened by a stag once and that was really moving. That's it I think.

I had a sparrow fly through my spokes a couple of weeks ago, luckily i wasnt going quick else it would have been a shredded mess. Have missed numerous rabbits and squirrels by inches.

Its always the pheasants that scare the bejeesus out of me as they flap out of the undergrowth by the side of the road.

Ive also had numerous barn owl experiences, similar to the OP, where they fly alongside me.

I often see deer scarpering away from me in the early hours, as well as seeing the odd common buzzard and lots of kestrels.

Love the fens :smile:

akb

Veteran
I'd write to the daily mail, I bet none of these animals were wearing hi-vis.

I've had a near miss with a little (monkjack?) deer once. It ran down the cycle track chicaning and then darted into the woods shortly after.

vickster

Legendary Member
Close to hitting a rabbit quite recently, don't see them often around here. My immediate thought was had I remembered to feed my cat who has hunter tendencies, wrong!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've killed a rat when I ran over it and had a squirrel bounce off the front spokes.

I've also had an owl fly alongside me and had a pigeon go through the front wheel - it survived but was missing a lot of feathers

A few weeks ago a hare ran out in front of me and it couldn't decide which way to run as I came from one direction and a car from the other, the hare chose to run towards the car and got splatted.

veloman

Run over a couple of snakes, they just don't seem to hear bikes coming.

Ganymede

Veteran
Warning: never pick up an injured squirrel unless you are wearing thick leather gloves. OWWWW! Blood everywhere... teeth like sharp yellow tombstones.

Berties

Fast and careful!
on my commute i nearly got hit by a buzzard being chased off by two crows,very close on three fly bys

Cameronmu917772

badger ran between my wheels on my way home a few years ago couldn't believe it.
just about got two gray squirrels yesterday i aimed for the first but missed :sad:
last week i was MTBing and flew down a road at 50mph turned round to see where my mate was and the field of cattle got up set and went mental running in front of him :rofl: so he says anyway.
had a bee go up my glasses and buzz about until i managed to take my glasses off calmly :ninja:
think thats it oh and a colossal amount of flys eaten. who needs nuts and bananas?

mick1836

Über Member
Rabbits appear to be attracted to the Route 55 Old Railway that runs from Stafford to Newport. Why do they decide to run from one grass verge to the other just as you are about to pass them, are they suicidal or just playing with us?

Top Bottom