Suitability of Raleigh Comfort Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Bore

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a 'mountain bike'. I like the Raleigh Voyager LX Comfort Bike, but I'm not sure how to assess it or compare against what else is available. I'm also wondering if such a bike could replace my road bike or if its top gear would be too low?

I am 52 years old, and regularly ride my (20 year old) Raleigh Pioneer which I think is a 'hybrid' (it has thick-ish typres but is otherwise a road bike). Typically, I cycle three or four times a week, for leisure, usually 12 miles with one 16 mile ride (with Surrey hills) each week. About every two weeks I do a longer ride, like 40 or 50 miles. I'm fine with the Pioneer. Typically I average 12 mph, I do about 16-20 mph on the flat and up to a max of 35 mph downhill. The Pioneer has 18 gears and I use the top gear a lot, the smallest pedal chain gear wheel never.

Because the Raleigh Pioneer has lastest so long with no trouble, and I still like it so much, I'm tempted to stick to Raleigh but I don't know if that is sensible.

The Voyager has 21 gears, but I think its top gears would be lower than my Pioneer - is that so? I wouldn't like to do a long ride in a lower gear.

My reason to buy the Voyager is so I can cycle on tracks. I'm not aiming to go off tracks for excitement or spills, but I do want to be able to cycle up (and down) some very rough tracks - if you know my area then I am talking about Box Hill (steep, chalk) and Newlands Corner )steep, gravel).

I'd greatly value advice on whether a bike like the Raleigh Voyager would suit me, and also if it could be a replacement for my road bike or if I'd need to keep both? Also, if anyone has ridden the Voyaegr and can comment, or would recommend I look at some other model or make.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Chris
============
Surrey

Please don't buy a Raleigh, their quality assurance, if that's what they call it has gone downhill since they transferred production from Nottingham to which ever country currently has the lowest labour rates.

We had a consignment of Raleighs, left over from a couple of years ago which a former (non cycling) employee bought in. We are slowly working our way through the pile, assembling them and selling them on. They are, without exception, quite appallingly badly put together. Wonky drop-outs, poorly faced bearing surfaces, lumpy welds. you name it. Awful.

When you bought your bike they were better, better but there were then, and are now, many manufacturers who care about quality, design and finish.

Raleigh have been living off their good name for half a century because, to people who don't know a lot about bicycles they are a name that they recognise. They never innovate but merely copy existing trends. And don't get me started on the management.

Check out some of the modern brands who are producing some excellent bikes such as Trek, Specialized, Kona, Giant, Carrera even.

Compare them to the Raleigh on quality, value for money, spec and design, the Raleigh will always lose.

Don't do it! :sad: My Raleigh was a fountain of ongoing problems - in the end it was sent back to the manufacturers under warranty and I got a refund. My friend had similar problems, but missed out on the refund.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Mountain bikes come with 2 or 3 differnt types of chain set. The smaller sprockets are for off road use and the larger ones are for on road use - you may be able to get the same gearing ratio as your current racer.

Comfort bikes are a good option as some come with 26" wheels as opposed to city bikes where most come with 700c wheels. With 26" wheels there are a wide and cheap range of both knobbly and slick tyres available allowing you to alternate between on and off road use.

I agree with the comments about Raleigh - the build quality has gone down hill. I have recently considered a comfort bike and I came to the conclusion that the Giant Sedona DX was of great value. This is a budget bike so you may want to spend a little more - up to you.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/1425/31761/

http://www.whycycle.co.uk/bike_styles/

Willow

hi, I live nearby - Effingham so know the area well. I have just sold my 20 year old Giant coldrock, fabulous service still has original tyres though need replacing now. I needed more of a roady so have bought a mongoose 450 though am seriously regretting getting rid of the giant for such a miniscule amount if I had space would have spent a bit on getting that together and keeping both. 20 years service £310, great value great bike I certainly would recommend giant based on that.

Top Bottom