Suitable beginner route between Clapham Junction and Surbiton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anmonari

Hi All,

I'm new to cycling in South London currently only Cycle between Lambeth and Clapham Junction. As I work in Woking I'm thinking of cycling to Surbiton from Clapham Junction. Any suggestions regarding the best route

I use Strava at the moment and is quite useful for my above mentioned short journey.

I'm cautious of using Google Maps as it necessarily doesn't give the safest and most efficient cycle route.

Thanks,
Alex.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
A

anmonari

Thanks HLaB. I'll look at using CycleStreet.

Does anyone know any other tools or common routes?

Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
How long will you have? Wanting leisurely away from roads or fast as possible? What about hills?

Last edited:

Dommo

Veteran
I used to do Borough to New Malden, so Surbiton's not too far beyond that. I took CS7 all the way to Collier's Wood and then Kingston Road past Raynes Park and alongside the A3 to New Malden. I'd say it's pretty much the quickest route, but not particularly pleasant. I can see nicer routes for that distance taking rather a while though...

Dommo

Veteran
That said, I used to divert and cut through Richmond Park some days and on misty winter mornings with the deer ghosting in and out of view it was quite magical.. so it wasn't all bad :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
For most pleasant (but slow) I'd assume some sort of combo of the Wandle Trail (as far as Wimbledon), then Route 75 from near Raynes Park to Surbiton

It's going to take you an hour minimum in term time, maybe a little less in summer even the quickest way (straight down the A3 pretty much!!)

Simontm

Veteran
IMG_0361.jpg
Another route is to head for Wandsworth
IMG_0362.jpg

then Buckhold/Merton/Dunsford roads (all one road really), then turn for and past Wimbledon Park Station (Arthur Road) take the left after the station into Home Park Road.

You are now essentially on London Route 29 so 3rd left into Kenilworth Avenue then a shimmy over to Woodside which brings you to the bottom of Wimbledon Hill. Straight across into Mansel rd, from there turn left to the roundabout on Worple road.
IMG_0366.jpg
Now here the fastest route is right and straight down Worple Road to Raynes Park or you go over the roundabout and straight down to the railway where there's National route 208 which brings you out at Raynes Park.
IMG_0363.jpg
From here through the centre, turn left at Waitrose and straight on. Under the A3 and over to New Malden.
IMG_0364.jpg
Across the roundabout onto Kingston Road, 4th left (Park rd), right then left into Green Lane which is LR75 over the the roundabout, a short climb up the third exit where you see the Berrylands Pub.
IMG_0365.jpg
Take the 3rd exit down the slope (warptch out for pedestrians and wives turning cars!) under the railway straight on till the end.

From here it's a right then left at roundabout and straight on which will bring you out at the Assembly Rooms. Across the lights and it's a left for Surbiton high street at the next traffic lights.
IMG_0367.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Buckhold/Merton/Dunsford roads... Aren't those busy and super polluted...hence the Wandle Trail being a nicer option (possibly slower but not necessarily given the traffic around Earlsfield etc)

I'm going to be commuting from Sutton to just across Putney Bridge...I'm hoping to follow the Wandle Trail as much as I can - probably from Merton Abbey Mills to Wandsworth

Simontm

Veteran
Buckhold/Merton/Dunsford roads... Aren't those busy and super polluted...hence the Wandle Trail being a nicer option (possibly slower but not necessarily given the traffic around Earlsfield etc)

I'm going to be commuting from Sutton to just across Putney Bridge...I'm hoping to follow the Wandle Trail as much as I can - probably from Merton Abbey Mills to Wandsworth

Since he works in Surbiton, he would be contra-flow. Even so, yeah it can be busy but most cars are well behaved, better than on CS7.
Yeah for you you can hop onto NR20 then take the quiet route from Wandsworth to Putney.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not convinced there is such a thing as contraflow in the SW London burbs...the term time traffic seems shoot everywhere and getting worse every year :sad:

@anmonari spend some time at the weekends exploring routes (the traffic is as bad at the weekend as in the week, so will be a good test)

OP
OP
A

anmonari

How long will you have? Wanting leisurely away from roads or fast as possible? What about hills?
Hi Vicker, I'll have between an 1hr 15 mins to 1hr 30 mins. I'm looking at fast as possible in the morning and leisurely ride in the evenings.

OP
OP
A

anmonari

That said, I used to divert and cut through Richmond Park some days and on misty winter mornings with the deer ghosting in and out of view it was quite magical.. so it wasn't all bad :smile:

Thanks. I'll look around for a Richmond Park route.

Top Bottom