Suitable footwear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

As my big ride fast approaches I am trying to gather all my kit together. I have not got round to making the decision to go clipless and it is now too late before I go to India (but I will do it one day:smile:), but my trainers I have been wearing are quite heavy and I dont fancy the idea of wearing them in the heat. I have been looking at some lightweight trainers and have found some lovely split sole flexible ones, but should I really be wearing ones with a firmer sole? ;)

Maybe a pair of spd ready trainer style cycling shoes with a stiffish sole ? then you just get the pedals and cleats when you return from India .

Something like the Taho gets good reports from tourists http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...360032443&N=Specialized Taho MTB Ladies Shoes

Gary D

I would second what JP said.
If you go for some Taho's or Sonoma's then you can use them without the clipless pedals to start with. They come with a rubber cover over the mounting holes for the cleats - which you have to remove when you make the transition to clipless - but in the meantime it will stop all the muck and dust getting in the threads.
I use Taho's with clipless and my wife uses Sonoma's without. We both find them very comfortable.

Comparing them with trainers, the biggest difference is the stiffness of the sole in that there is a lot less give in them. This is generally what is required from a cycling shoe. They are fine to walk in for moderate distances but I wouldn't want to start going too far in them - but I guess that's not what you want them for anyway? They are not as rigid as a proper road shoe however, so they are probably the best comprimise. Even when you go to clipless, they are still OK to walk in as the cleats are recessed below the tread.
With regard to weight, they are actually about the same as a pair of trainers.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks for this advice, these look really good and a good idea as well. What is more I was going to invest in some new lightweight walking shoes in the spring as my current ones are very heavy for warm weather walking. so these would kill 2 birds with 1 stone:biggrin:. My only concern is if they come quick enough that I could change them if the size isn't right!

Just to throw a spanner in the works...I bought some Nike Kato shoes (thinking I would eventually go clipless plus they looked good and were on special offer ;)), on my old bike they were great without cleats, but on the pedals on the new one they slip like hell, it's like the tread forms a sort of sliding channel, so they are completely useless at the moment. So if you do go for cycling shoes and don't want to use them clipless, make sure they work with your pedals or you might find yourself with a pair of shoes in India that don't stay on the pedals. Might be worth just getting yourself a cheap, decent pair of stiff-soled trainers in the meantime - I just got an ace pair of skate shoes that work really well in the TKMaxx clearance for £7, should have been £55, and the waffle thread grips reallly well.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks for the confusion:wacko:. Trouble is I am not taking my bike so I don't know what the pedals will be like.

If I were to go for the shoes suggested, what pedals would I need and how much would they cost. I was just thinking that if the shoes could be used either way, if I am not confident enough before I would have the choice. What do you reckon?

Suppose it depends more on the tread on the shoes, the katos for example have sort of little triangular spikes (hard to explain), whereas if it is more of a walking shoe or waffle pattern you would probably be ok... The tahos in the link seem to be more like that...

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I really like the look of those Tahos which is a good start though I am not sure about the sizes. It depends wether they measure up generous or not.

Might be worth checking out CRC as well, no tahos, but quite a few special offers...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1164

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Looked at this and found some cannondale carve at £29.99 (from £70). I like the look of them but what about the brand? With so much stuff still to get for India, I am on a budget. (Sorry I don't know how to add a link!)

Tynan

Veteran
clipless don't that much lead time surely?

the benefit is huge, I'd get them right away and lump it as necessary thereafter, worth it imho

Jakes Dad said:
Jana ... if you want to wear your Nike shoes but are worried about slipping off the pedals then try these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003267m005418
I put them on my Mountain bike and they work great and they are only £3.95 and you can fit them to standard flat pedals in a couple of minutes

Simon

Thanks for that...I just had some powergrips fitted - haven't tried them yet, too scared off falling over and scratching my new fork :biggrin: -, but I'm hoping they might solve the problem...

Not sure if the miniclips would work, as I somehow appear to be sliding sideways rather than forwards, but I suppose if I don't get on with the powergrips, they might be worth a try, especially at that price!

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

MMM so much to think about and so little time. But those shoes I saw were a good price and I priced some suitable pedals at a good price too.

Can I add another question? The advice from those who have gone before say that as we have bikes provided but personally fitted, are all identical, so you have to find yours from about 80 each day. The popular idea seems to be adding ribbons, any more origonal ideas as to how I can find my bike each day easily???;)

Top Bottom