Suitable tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AckaDappa

Hi. Looking to go and get some tyres today for my Giant Toughroad SLR2.
I want to buy two sets...

1. Road only journeys for fitness and solo leisure rides.

2. Journeys with my other half which will include gravel tracks and grass etc..

Can anybody recommend suitable tyres please. Don't want to go and get sets that are either low quality or not fit for purpose..
I have a halfords (cycling department not good) and a decathlon fairly close.
But guessing internet is the way to go.
Also should I upgrade the standard inner tubes that come with the bike?

I'm a newbie to cycling and the bike is being delivered this week.. Hopefully..

Thank in advance!
Dan.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
For gravel tracks etc. I would stick with your existing tyres/inner tubes until they need replacing then ask the same question again.
For road I would get a pair of Continental Gatorskins, probably 700x28c as you have plenty of clearance. In my experience they have been brilliant, great puncture resistance and longevity 5500+ miles. You will need smaller diameter inner tubes for your new road tyres.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-rigid-tyre-twinpack/
They sell them at Halfords too. BC members get 10% discount.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

For gravel tracks etc. I would stick with your existing tyres/inner tubes until they need replacing then ask the same question again.
For road I would get a pair of Continental Gatorskins, probably 700x28c as you have plenty of clearance. In my experience they have been brilliant, great puncture resistance and longevity 5500+ miles. You will need smaller diameter inner tubes for your new road tyres.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-rigid-tyre-twinpack/
They sell them at Halfords too. BC members get 10% discount.

Ah thanks. Wi'll stick with current tyres for rides with the missus and look into these for my road journeys.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Hi, I'd get continental gatorskin Hardshells the folding version, they are easier to get on and off than the wired. https://www.evanscycles.com/continental-gator-hardshell-700c-duraskin-folding-road-tyre-oe-EV212747. In my opinion they are much better than the normal Gatorskins regarding the puncture protection.
I agree with above regarding the stock tyres just use them on the tracks.
Agree with User46386, if you are happy spending £30/tyre then go with the above advice.

Don't use Continental tyres if you're on anything rougher than a billiard table.

I'd recommend Schwalbe marathon plus tyres, for both applications.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't use M+ on rough or slippery surfaces, the ones I had were awful even on wet roads or if you expect to go quickly on roads...

Are you really going to swap tyres depending on where you are cycling? Winter summer I get but Friday versus Saturday, way too much hassle! (especially with marathon plus which can be a pig to fit)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Don't use Continental tyres if you're on anything rougher than a billiard table.

I'd recommend Schwalbe marathon plus tyres, for both applications.
Nothing wrong with Continental Gatorskins, Marathons are sluggish and difficult to get on a rim. If the OP wants to regularly swap tyres then stay away from Marathons.

Nothing wrong with Continental Gatorskins, Marathons are sluggish and difficult to get on a rim. If the OP wants to regularly swap tyres then stay away from Marathons.
If he uses Marathons, he won't need to swap them about, they sure as hell won't puncture, and they'll last a long time, unlike the Continental tyres, which in my experience of many many thousands of miles, on all sorts of different surfaces / conditions, on both road bikes, and a bike very similar to the OP's, will cut up as if they are made of bubble gum, let anything more substantial than a lettuce leaf puncture the tube, and last about 5 minutes. They are fine on good road surfaces, but dire on anything else ( from a durability standpoint). The Continentals are lighter, and roll better, but given that the OP has a flat bar Hybrid, which he intends to use on trails and roads, and presumably isn't as interested in speed and distance, as durability and functionality, I would personally go for the Marathons, if I was in the OP's position.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If he uses Marathons, he won't need to swap them about, they sure as hell won't puncture, and they'll last a long time, unlike the Continental tyres, which in my experience of many many thousands of miles, on all sorts of different surfaces / conditions, on both road bikes, and a bike very similar to the OP's, will cut up as if they are made of bubble gum, let anything more substantial than a lettuce leaf puncture the tube, and last about 5 minutes. They are fine on good road surfaces, but dire on anything else ( from a durability standpoint). The Continentals are lighter, and roll better, but given that the OP has a flat bar Hybrid, which he intends to use on trails and roads, and presumably isn't as interested in speed and distance, as durability and functionality, I would personally go for the Marathons, if I was in the OP's position.
Marathon Plus on wet grass/muddy tracks?
No No.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Are you really going to swap tyres depending on where you are cycling? Winter summer I get but Friday versus Saturday, way too much hassle

Won't be going for rides with the other half very often as we have an 8 week old baby so only when he is older or wen granny is looking after him lol

As I am not too fussed about speed, just durability, is there a tyre that will do both comfortably? The marathon was mentioned but other seem to think not.

Thanks for all the replies

Top Bottom