Suitable tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano plus is a bit less sluggish than M+ by all accounts, but probably not available in a wide fit?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Before you buy the new tyres check that what you get will fit your rim, because they are wide on that bike.

I wondered about that myself when someone mentioned 28c tyres upthread, but I checked the spec and it lists the rims as Giant S-X2, which the internet tells me have an internal width of 19mm - so 28mm tyres should be fine, if the OP is daft enough not to want to make better use of the frame clearance.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wondered about that myself when someone mentioned 28c tyres upthread, but I checked the spec and it lists the rims as Giant S-X2, which the internet tells me have an internal width of 19mm - so 28mm tyres should be fine, if the OP is daft enough not to want to make better use of the frame clearance.
He can add some nice chunky mudguards?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Won't be going for rides with the other half very often as we have an 8 week old baby so only when he is older or wen granny is looking after him lol

As I am not too fussed about speed, just durability, is there a tyre that will do both comfortably? The marathon was mentioned but other seem to think not.

Thanks for all the replies
Why not just use the stock tyres and see how you get on for now?

S-Express

unlike the Continental tyres, which in my experience of many many thousands of miles, on all sorts of different surfaces / conditions, on both road bikes, and a bike very similar to the OP's, will cut up as if they are made of bubble gum, let anything more substantial than a lettuce leaf puncture the tube, and last about 5 minutes.

Funny, because I also have 'many many thousands of miles' on Contis, and that is not my experience. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it might be useful to qualify it in future, so people can make their own decisions. Phrases like 'billiard table', 'bubble gum' and 'lettuce leaf 'do not really enourage people to take your comments seriously, to put it mildly.

Maybe something like these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._j1-D-6tK7u2u9ZtSoTDBhoCEXbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I currently run the tubeless versions of these(actually s-ones but not called that anymore) on my cx commuter and they have handled most surfaces well,only struggled on really rough off road but still was ok.Might not roll quite as well as the tubeless but they could be one for all solution to save swapping tyres.

They are good enough for me to get 30kph easily on roads and are pretty ossum on loose gral paths;only had one puncture in just over 2,000kms and that was a large shard of glass which most tyres would probably succumb to(cue loads of posts about Marathons:rolleyes:),only thing I do is keep an eye on cuts and nicks,remove debris(like small flints and stones) and repait the cuts with Loctite super glue(the one with rubber added) or normal rubber glue which is used for patches.

This is the tubeless version;obviously a bit more but they can be run with tubes;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...M727Ztpg7vWYBcJu5Q45hhoCWe_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course you could also save up for a second set of wheels if the off road rides are in the future or that N+1:whistle:

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Those look a good shout. Ill stick with the stock tyres to see how they cope but will probably get a set of those or others mentioned if I feel they are not up to the job.

My vote goes for these on mixed surfaces
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-randonneur-pro-ii-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod124106
I have found them to have good grip in all road conditions, wet or dry and can handle tow paths as well. They are similar to the slightly faster rolling Vittoria Hyper but with a thicker tread depth. For your bike get the 35mm version, (you can also run them tubeless on tubeless ready rims)
20120609070404.jpg

My vote goes for these on mixed surfaces
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-randonneur-pro-ii-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod124106
I have found them to have good grip in all road conditions, wet or dry and can handle tow paths as well. They are similar to the slightly faster rolling Vittoria Hyper but with a thicker tread depth. For your bike get the 35mm version, (you can also run them tubeless on tubeless ready rims)
View attachment 335778
I'll vote for those as well

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looking to go and get some tyres today for my Giant Toughroad SLR2.
I want to buy two sets...
1. Road only journeys for fitness and solo leisure rides.
2. Journeys with my other half which will include gravel tracks and grass etc..
Can anybody recommend suitable tyres please. Don't want to go and get sets that are either low quality or not fit for purpose..
I have a halfords (cycling department not good) and a decathlon fairly close.
But guessing internet is the way to go.
Also should I upgrade the standard inner tubes that come with the bike?
I'm a newbie to cycling and the bike is being delivered this week.
The bike will come with tyres. Ride on them. You would be unusual if you went to the trouble of changing tyres between types of use. It is a faff.
Should I upgrade the inners? No. How will you know whether the new inners are better than the 'as supplied' ones?
You have bought a bike that can go off road. If you put narrowish minimal or no tread tyres on it, you will have (more or less) lost that option.
Wide tyres can be 'fast' (though it costs you); and they are more comfortable.
@tincaman's Vittorias are a good choice (the Pro version, mind). But keep them wide eg at least 37mm (since you have the clearance so to do - I assume the bike will come with 50mm Maxxis Maxxlite Speed tyres) and take advantage of lower pressures to make your rides more comfortable. Here's a comparison of a few others that you may wish to consider: Compare/continental-sport-contact-2016-vs-schwalbe-marathon-supreme-2016-vs-vittoria-voyager-hyper-2016
There's a long list at bicyclerollingresistance.com

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have been running Schwalbe Road Cruisers on my hybrid as that was what it came fitted with. 15,000 miles and a couple of sets later I still like them for durability, puncture resistance, speed and grip in all conditions. The 700x35 size is closer to a 37 or 38c tyre and this gives great protection when crashing through potholes and puddles. I have never had a pinch puncture.
The Marathon plus looks similar but on paper at least is massively heavy in comparison!!!

The last pairs of RoadCruisers did suffer from cracking of the sidewalls but this has not been a problem and seems to be purely cosmetic.

I have just fitted a set of 32c Vittoria Randonneur pro tyres to my all road bike as these seem to tick all the boxes for my requirements on that bike and will replace the frankly useless Continental tyres that it came fitted with. The Conti Grand Sport Race tyres have been puncturing about every 100 miles, I guess they are made of tissue paper?

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

The though of 15,000 miles on a bike scares me lol
I ha e only done 6000 in my car in the last 18 months haha..
But I must get fit! Got an 8 week old boy and my wedding in august! And I weigh nearly 17 stone..

vickster

Legendary Member
The though of 15,000 miles on a bike scares me lol
I ha e only done 6000 in my car in the last 18 months haha..
But I must get fit! Got an 8 week old boy and my wedding in august! And I weigh nearly 17 stone..
Presume you've changed your eating habits too. You won't lose much weight through Cycling alone

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Presume you've changed your eating habits too. You won't lose much weight through Cycling alone

Yeah I have.
I went from a job where I was on my feet 12 hours a day.. To driving a coach for between 7 and 14 hours a day.. But I'm determined to get fit.

Top Bottom