Summer and winter bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't ride much in winter, maybe once a month if weather is good. It is much warmer in the car and safer too. When I do ride, I use my old faithful Specialized Allez. I had it for 8 years now and clean it and lube the chain after every ride. My other two bikes get used in spring and summer.

betty swollocks

large member
Of course you can run a single bike all through the year and keep it pristine. It's just that in winter, if the roads are filthy, it will require a good, fairly time-consuming clean and lube virtually and immediately after every ride.
Another factor is the tyres and the grip and puncture-resistance they avail you. If you can, fit heavier duty ones for the dark wet months.
Mudguards too, as others have alluded: how protected from the filth do you want to be?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have my best bike, which I use only when it's dry and there's no chance of any residual salt on the roads because even in the dry, salt dust sticks to the bike, attracts moisture and then attacks the metal parts.

The winter bike gets good maintenance including a wash down with hot water and car shampoo after every wet ride.

ozboz

Guru
I only use my CF from march- April to October weather depending , other than that winter and heavy rain days it’s the sturdy trusty Surly , all weather and condition bike ,

Venod

Eh up
Unless its completely dry (and no rain forecast) I don't go out without mudguards winter or summer, so my bike that won't take guards isn't used much in winter, although if its dry it does get used, so I suppose I have wet weather and dry weather bikes rather than winter/summer bikes.

Expensive parts grind down at similar rates to midrange parts and work about as well. Dry winter days do little harm but extended use in dark, wet, grimey commutes without regular cleaning will wear down any transmission system.
The carbon frame should be OK but they usually lack eyelets or clearance for mudguards. Modern road disc brakes work just as well wet or dry.

The main difference between my winter bikes and summer bikes is that the winter bikes are 10 speed and the summer ones 11-speed. All are carbon-fibre Bianchis. In terms of economy, it is much cheaper to change a 10 speed Veloce drive chain (about £40 for a cassette and £20 for a chain) than 11 speed - up to £125 for a 12/32 Potenza cassette. I do much the same distance and riding summer and winter.

12boy

Guru
My winter bikes can run studded tires...I have a mountain bike and a single speed Surly Steamroller. I also have extra wheels with regular tires so on dry days I don't have to deal with studded tire drag. I wax my chains and have an extra so I can swap chains easily, and since waxing chains is tedious, I wax several at a time. Waxed chains don't pickup grit like oiled chains, so chain rings and cogs last longer. I go to cartridge bearing when I can, definitely with headsets and BB, but also hubs if I can. Most of my fleet are steel and I coat the insides with Boeshield and let them dry, which protects against inner rust. Except for square taper BB spindles I use grease or antiseize compound on stems, bolts, seatposts and everything else so rust and/or steel-aluminum corrosion won't make taking things apart difficult. My bikes stay in an unheated shed....don't know if it is true but I've read that taking a warm bike out in the cold can cause condensation on the inside of the frame. Getting frames wet on the outside is no big deal but the grit and salt on rims, chains, cogs and sprockets can trash them very quickly.

pjd57

Veteran
In winter , with a threat of frost I prefer my hybrid.
Wider wheels/ tyres and the lower sitting position make me feel safer.
Even if it's wishful thinking it gets me through the winter.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's a whole different story over here in rural Ontario. Basically from December to the end of March (at least), you really have to run studded tyres to cope with the ice. So whatever you are riding, it's got to have the clearances to run tyres like that. The bonus is that I can ride on the lake when it's really solid... :smile:

bladderhead

image.jpeg
winter bike

Top Bottom