Summer bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Tea and cake!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not sure what you mean by things you should look out for. One thing I can almost gaurantee however, is that when a bike has been layed up for a while it will have developed a mysterious creak somewhere no matter how well it was running when you last used it.

What fun it is trying to track it down - not :wacko:

Blue

Legendary Member
Just pump the tyres and go!!

Oh, don't forget to check that the spare tube and tyre levers are still in the saddlebag!!!

I don't think you should get your summer bike out until you see the first Bluebells ;)

errr... apart from that: Check tyres, check wheel alignment, clean chain, run through the gears (with bike on new workstand :wacko:), check computer battery, spares were mentioned and...can't think of anything else.

longers

Legendary Member
Go round the block a couple of times for a test ride before you set off anywhere too far away.

walker

Crackle said:
I don't think you should get your summer bike out until you see the first Bluebells :tongue:

My summer bikes been out since late January. :biggrin:

But that was coz I wanted to start my racing season early

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My summer bike's been available all winter - when it's nice it's been out....

Just check and lube everything - I assume you squirted the chain, mechs cables before putting away ?

gavintc

Guru
Well mine has been hanging over the boiler since Oct/Nov. I take it down to have a look every so often. It is still too wet, salty, etc to take it out quite yet. But, I am off to Spain in 3 weeks for Easter with the bike, so will need to get it down and take it for spin to make sure it is Ok, before I take it. Nothing worse than identifying a problem after you have arrived. I might get it serviced before I go.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
Weather permitting I'm going to put my summer bike back on the road soon, its been off the road since mid November. Its the first time I've had a summer bike is there anything special I should look out for?

Ice and snow...;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I ride my best bike all year round. What's the point of depriving yourself? Give it a wash after the ride and it comes to no harm.

Blue

Legendary Member
rich p said:
Give it a wash after the ride and it comes to no harm.

It may be just a personal thing, but I have better things to do with my time.

If I thought I had to wash my bike after every ride I'd quit cycling.

bonj2

rich p said:
I ride my best bike all year round. What's the point of depriving yourself? Give it a wash after the ride and it comes to no harm.

exactly. Sensible advice there from rich

Top Bottom