1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer bike

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HLaB, 3 Mar 2008.

1. Weather permitting I'm going to put my summer bike back on the road soon, its been off the road since mid November. Its the first time I've had a summer bike is there anything special I should look out for?

2. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Tea and cake!

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Not sure what you mean by things you should look out for. One thing I can almost gaurantee however, is that when a bike has been layed up for a while it will have developed a mysterious creak somewhere no matter how well it was running when you last used it.

What fun it is trying to track it down - not :wacko:

4. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

Just pump the tyres and go!!

Oh, don't forget to check that the spare tube and tyre levers are still in the saddlebag!!!

5. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

What about thorns in the road - it'll be hedge cutting time again :wacko:

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

I don't think you should get your summer bike out until you see the first Bluebells ;)

errr... apart from that: Check tyres, check wheel alignment, clean chain, run through the gears (with bike on new workstand :wacko:), check computer battery, spares were mentioned and...can't think of anything else.

7. longers

longers Veteran

Go round the block a couple of times for a test ride before you set off anywhere too far away.

8. walker

walker New Member

My summer bikes been out since late January. :biggrin:

But that was coz I wanted to start my racing season early

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

My summer bike's been available all winter - when it's nice it's been out....

Just check and lube everything - I assume you squirted the chain, mechs cables before putting away ?

10. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Well mine has been hanging over the boiler since Oct/Nov. I take it down to have a look every so often. It is still too wet, salty, etc to take it out quite yet. But, I am off to Spain in 3 weeks for Easter with the bike, so will need to get it down and take it for spin to make sure it is Ok, before I take it. Nothing worse than identifying a problem after you have arrived. I might get it serviced before I go.

11. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Ice and snow...;)

12. roadiewill

roadiewill New Member

It must be nice to have a bike for different seasons....

13. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I ride my best bike all year round. What's the point of depriving yourself? Give it a wash after the ride and it comes to no harm.

14. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

It may be just a personal thing, but I have better things to do with my time.

If I thought I had to wash my bike after every ride I'd quit cycling.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

exactly. Sensible advice there from rich