Summer's coming ... what can I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Rhythm Thief said:
I know this sounds a bit daft, and not at all adventurous, but why not start from your own front door (depending where you live) and discover new places in your area? I went off for a week last year around an area of Shropshire I thought I knew really well and was amazed how much more there was to it.
Otherwise, why not have a themed tour? Me and a previous girlfriend did the Western Front, from the Somme to Ypres, on bikes a while ago. All we had to do was get the ferry to Calais and off we went.

You're right, there is a lot to discover in your own backyard. However, they are the sort of tours that I have done on long weekends. The summer holidays are longer and offer the chance to go somewhere else.

Last summer I cycled down the Rhine, and coincided with the Magnicourt Line on the French-German border. I had heard about it but seeing it was a whole new experience.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Lone Rider said:
Vernon, don't you find that wine drains your energy while cycling?

Nope, a post lunch siesta did the trick. :thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

twowheelsgood said:
Rhein! Or are you doing a country and western tour?

I have always spelt it "Rhine" although I believe that the german spelling is "Rhein".

I Googled it and "Rhein River" gave 45,800 hits, while "Rhine River" gave 527,000.

maurice

vernon said:
I didn't keep a blog but the route I used was based on a CTC route to St Tropez from Calais. I used the route as far as Orange before branching off for the Carmargue.

Thanks for that, might end up following some of that route.

A lot of the names ring a bell from a motorcycle trip in that direction a couple years back. Obviously wasn't able to sample the wine as much as I intend to this time!

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

A majority vote for German rivers. They certainly offer stress-free cycling with all the amenities.

Has anybody cycled along the Elbe, from Hamburg to Prague?

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, and enjoyed it.:biggrin:
I suppose by heading south it was uphill all the way, but there were no hills to cause any sweat. Stayed on campsites most nights with the odd night of luxury under a roof for a rest.
The Bikeline books "Elbe Radweg " ( I think there are 3 in the series) kept me right for the most part, but I got a little lost in northern Czech Rep., but hey! tours are at their best when you are lost.:laugh: Coming north I followed the Spree Radweg to Berlin, again the Bikeline people have a book to guide you.

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

snorri said:
... but I got a little lost in northern Czech Rep. ...

I thought that might be the case - the German cycle paths that I have been on have always been well signposted and in good condition. I can imagine that the Czech side will be different.

As for heading south and going uphill, I thought that the more interesting part would be nearer the source and so would be something to look forward to as I headed upstream.

snorri

Legendary Member
Lone Rider said:
I thought that might be the case - the German cycle paths that I have been on have always been well signposted and in good condition. I can imagine that the Czech side will be different.
Actually there had been an almighty flood the previous summer and many poor souls were still trying to get their houses made habitable again. It was easy to accept that cycle route restoration would be well down the priority list.

RebelFarmer

You can also join the 2nd edition of the Belarus Solidarity Cycling Expedition in August 2008.

Why do I think this may be interesting for you?
Well simply because Belarus, is quite an unknown country, often referred to as "the last dictatorship of Europe", and having one of the few centrally-planned economies left in the world. Although it became independent in 1991, its president still governs the country in a quite authoritarian way BUT thanks to several international initiatives the country is now slowly ! J) but surely opening to the world.
At RebelFarmer we thus feel it’s our duty to support the population in this objective.

You are welcome to join us and the Belarus volunteers in this safe bicycling/canoeing of 1500 km through the eco-corridors of Belarus, from the Polish to the Russian border.
The route will be divided in 3 equal periods allowing you to sign up for one or more periods of 11 days.

This expedition is meant to promote the typical flora and fauna of Belarus eco-corridors towards the population and tourists as well. Stories related to this rich fauna are collected by cyclists among old people in little picturesque villages in order to ensure the transmission of this heritage.
We are mainly speaking here about: Wolves, Brown bear, Lynx, Bever, Uhu, Raven, Eagles and Cranes.

We will also attend 3 local village festivals which celebrate the unique culinary, musical, craft, building traditions and pagan traditions of the region.
These villages we will pass through are working on the so-called GREENWAYS (local nature routes, see www.greenways.by), under the UN flag of Local Agenda 21.
A first attempt to introduce local democracy in Belarus!

This tour follows last year successful Solidarity Cycling Expedition 2007. See photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/12463228@N07/show
Bikes are provided.

Want to know more? Drop me a line or two at rebelfarmer (at) hotmail.com

Top Bottom