England : Rutland Sun 18th Nov

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks Steve for organizing the ride, thanks to everyone else for your company, what could be better, bright sunny day, quiet lanes and good company, an excellent day. I clocked 108 miles in the car and 52 miles on the bike. I was home about 4 o'clock, the first distance drive I've done since I brought the car in August.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Another fantastic day in and around Rutland!
Thanks again, TF and Dr P for brilliant local knowledge, organisation and hospitality. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else sometime next Spring. No more hares, I promise (saw a flock of about 20 red-legged partridges milling about on the edge of the road this morning - I'll try to bag a brace of them instead).

Starting to think you were probably right about the mystery bird being a Goshawk, as we saw a similar sized bird between Edmondthorpe and Wymondham on the way home, and it certainly didn't look like a Buzzard in flight - much quicker wingbeats, longer tail and different shaped wings. I'd thought our nearest ones were around the upper derwent reservoirs, but maybe they're expanding their range.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Absoleutley gutted I had to work. Made matters worse by passing both Fenland Clarion and Peterborough CC club rides on the way into work. There were more cyclists on the road this morning than cars!

What a day, echo what HLaB said, couldn't really have gone much better. Got quite a few pictures, most taken on the hoof so not the best quality, although I think one photo in particular might tempt a certain forumite to come down next time.

Unbelievably [for me] all pics are in the right order as we went along
2012_11_18001.jpg

Ice and frost, pah, bring it on
2012_11_18003.jpg

Heading towards Scalford in the distance
2012_11_18005.jpg

Holwell, one of many picturesque villages we passed through
2012_11_18007.jpg

About 3 miles away from the skiing cake stop
2012_11_18008.jpg

Arrived at the cake stop to see this sign outside!
2012_11_18009.jpg

The helpings are somewhat generous, some disappointed faces..........not
2012_11_18010.jpg

Size clarification
2012_11_18011.jpg

More to come...

Please don't ask how these were taken. no safety net involved [or helmet :ph34r:]
2012_11_18012.jpg

2012_11_18013.jpg

2012_11_18014.jpg

One to make the Red Arrows weep
2012_11_18015.jpg

What hills?
2012_11_18016.jpg

2012_11_18017.jpg

2012_11_18019.jpg

Last one! Above Oakham looking out over Rutland Water.
2012_11_18020.jpg

Our thanks to all those that came, just wish I had taken a photo of Poacher holding a frozen Hare by its back legs when when I answered the doorbell this morning, absolute classic, you couldn't make it up.

potsy

Rambler
Nice pics TF, great hat dr_p :tongue:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Also I may have neglected to give my classification for rides, they are:
1. Flat
2. Gently rolling
3. Rolling
4. Hilly
5. Seriously hilly
I would welcome your feedback as to what you think this ride is afterwards, not the last one for sure :smile:.

Probably 2, I reckon. Put it this way, I never felt inclined (!), let alone compelled, to get off and walk. I don't think I'd manage a 4 or above, at my weight, age and condition. :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Probably 2, I reckon. Put it this way, I never felt inclined (!), let alone compelled, to get off and walk. I don't think I'd manage a 4 or above, at my weight, age and condition. :whistle:

I recon closer to a 3 myself, but I was on my fixed. :smile:

I recon closer to a 3 myself, but I was on my fixed. :smile:
Yes I think that too, but even on a geared bike I would call that a 3, I think Poacher is stronger than he thinks he is. I know for sure myself and dr_pink are not back to full strength or fitness yet and it showed yesterday. Unfortunately suffering a bit today with the crash injuries but would do it again in an instant. It was nice to get back as early as we did, I think just before 2.30 so no issues at all with daylight.
I'm surprised potsy hasn't mentioned the size of the cake portions, I suppose you had to be there.
Great standard of riding by everyone btw.

Super! Book sunshine like that for a summer 2013 Rutland ride and I'll do my best to join you. (And I'll make sure that I'm not late next time!)
Don't worry, you will be there and no two of my routes are the same, I am fortunate in having a huge choice of quiet lanes to pick from which is why I often tinker with the route in my head depending on who is down to ride, plus I like surprising people :smile:.

Top Bottom