England : London Sunday London Ride Dead Pop Stars Edition - 18 March CANCELLED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
We've brought the date of this ride forward due to having to postpone the Movies Edition.

This is a tour around some of the places in London which have a (mostly) dead pop star connection. It will be led by @Nick Saddlesore of this parish.

The route is around 20 miles. Some upness. A very short but steep walk. And a park.

Meet at Hyde Park Corner (by the Royal Artillery Memorial) at 9.30am, leaving as soon as the Horse Guards have passed (usually about 9:45am). The ride ends in the West End, close to the BT Tower, where refreshments will be taken.

A show of hands for 18 March please.

Note, as always with rides at this time of year, there'll be a strong weather dependency. The go/no-go decision will be taken on the preceding Friday once the weather forecasts have firmed up.

The small print, just as a reminder: This is not a formal ride under the auspices of any club. We will be just a bunch of friends on a ride together and Nick's role will be simply to guide you round a route. As such, you will be riding under your own insurance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No can do I'm afraid. Man of Kent Audax that day.

Interested.

Have pencilled it.

Grump follows

May drop out if it becomes the common um and ah cchat. Must admit am a bit bemused by a last minute weather check on a central london ride at that time of year.

Hi salty.

Some experiece with rides planning in the past where threads go on for pages and pages while folks talk through their diary options and then the ride gets cancelled on the eve when the leader (for these things needs one,) pulls back the curtains. My background is leading rides where I, and the others leading similar rides, would always turn up/aim to start the ride. It gives, in my experience, the necessary core, the nut or seed* for the fruit or veg to gather around. I still go on a fair few of these.
*Apologies if my biology is out.
All the best, sooty.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi salty.

Some experiece with rides planning in the past where threads go on for pages and pages while folks talk through their diary options and then the ride gets cancelled on the eve when the leader (for these things needs one,) pulls back the curtains. My background is leading rides where I, and the others leading similar rides, would always turn up/aim to start the ride. It gives, in my experience, the necessary core, the nut or seed* for the fruit or veg to gather around. I still go on a fair few of these.
*Apologies if my biology is out.
All the best, sooty.

Fair enough, I personally don't mind the reviewing of a purely social ride at short notice. The idea is to enjoy the ride and the company and meet some new people. I wouldn't enjoy it in the pouring rain or temps around 2°.

Hope it goes ahead and may see you there.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
The weather warning encourages peeps to 'watch' for late updates. Snow/ice/thick fog are unlikely, but if there's uniform forecast of heavy rain all day, 17 wet stops in 33km would be tedious, so will head straight to coffee. Or beer.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Some experiece with rides planning in the past where threads go on for pages and pages while folks talk through their diary options and then the ride gets cancelled on the eve when the leader (for these things needs one,) pulls back the curtains.
The Sunday London Ride has always been a fluid affair. No registration, usually no route, nor a pre-determined destination. That's part of its charm. It leaves when it leaves, with whoever can get out of bed. If no-one turns up, that's equally fine. These themed rides are just an attempt to add a little variety, nothing more. And nobody will enjoy it if there's snow, ice or biblical rain - all of which are quite possible in March.

Have toyed with the idea of turning up for that a few times but amidst all the posts it's often hard to figure out if it is on, anyone is likely to turn up. I do very often from such threads often learn a lot about folks' competing potential arrangements, holidays, DIY projects, the wavering digestive systems of their cats. So instead I go for a tootle by myself, turn up for an lcc or ctc ride or take a holiday with the cat hell bent on putting up a set of shelves.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have toyed with the idea of turning up for that a few times but amidst all the posts it's often hard to figure out if it is on, anyone is likely to turn up. I do very often from such threads often learn a lot about folks' competing potential arrangements, holidays, DIY projects, the wavering digestive systems of their cats. So instead I go for a tootle by myself, turn up for an lcc or ctc ride or take a holiday with the cat hell bent on putting up a set of shelves.

Right BH, this is how it's always worked. for SLR someone says they will be at HPC at 9.30am. 1 cyclist turns up, other may do so, 1 other makes for a ride. More then 2 makes for a group ride. If only that 1 person turns up then their on their own to do their own thing. From the start of these SLR's from way back when, it's always been pretty fluid as to who and how many people turn up. Some one calls and sometimes people answer the call. Sometimes not.

The rides here that Ross organises are a different beast. He has spent time working out and recceing the route. If the weather is good it will happen and they prove to be very popular.

I have known you longer then anyone else on this forum, it would be good to see or hear that you have made it to one of these rides, either this one or a SLR.

Hi Mr Rauk

To make it clear, I'm not trying to dictate how they run (the world is full of stuff and I'm no control freak) - just saying genuienely why I have never yet turned up. I do turn up to other rides.

>>I have known you longer then anyone else on this forum

Honour appreciated Ian but I don't think that can be true. For I well remember seeing you on a ride (maybe one of mine, can't remember) with a cyclechat jersey and me rather cretinously asked what it was. When of course the shirt said it all.

all the best

PS - hope to see you again sometime - but maybe unlikely as I very recently noted from your tagline that you have moved further out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Just giving this a little bump. Unfortunately I can’t make the ride, but i’ve seen the route and it looks cracking.

Top Bottom