England : London Sunday London Ride: Dead Pop Stars Edition - 8 July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Borls. Borls. Borls

Woke up this morning to a flat rear tyre on the Brompton. Not a five minute fix in a hotel bedroom with the tools I have as taking a frankenstien conversion 8 speed rear wheel off is a mare.

Sorry got to bail.

Currently in Clapham Common. So I should at HPC shortly. Although a bit hot & sweaty.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So. Now I know that a pair of needle nosed pliers and a longish flathead screwdriver, and a lot of patience are required to remove the wheel from an 8 speed conversion. Saving putting back it on for another day.

Still once in five years ain't bad.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Thanks Nick and all who joined us today

pics
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnWk7mm

So. Now I know that a pair of needle nosed pliers and a longish flathead screwdriver, and a lot of patience are required to remove the wheel from an 8 speed conversion. Saving putting back it on for another day.

Still once in five years ain't bad.

Rebecca's Brompton used to have the Kinetics 8 speed kit on it, and other than the fiddly bracket holding the gear indicator rod at the correct angle, it wasn't an issue to remove the wheel. The wheel is now on my Bickerton, as she found the 8 speed made the Brompton too heavy to easily carry onto trains.

What were you needing the pliers for?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rebecca's Brompton used to have the Kinetics 8 speed kit on it, and other than the fiddly bracket holding the gear indicator rod at the correct angle, it wasn't an issue to remove the wheel. The wheel is now on my Bickerton, as she found the 8 speed made the Brompton too heavy to easily carry onto trains.

What were you needing the pliers for?
screwdriver to float the rotary shift collar around on the hub to get max slack in the cable, needle nose pliers to take hold of the shift cable and pop the cable nipple out of its socket in the shift collar. No way I can reach the cable end with fingers.

I accept I may be doing it wrong, don't have the knack, or the cable end is too short, but that's the way Kinetics said to do it...

Can you give me some pointers next time you see me on it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom