England : London Sunday London Ride Goes Down the Pub: 21 October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
This ride replaces the planned Death Ride which we're postponing to 2019 due to @Trickedem being incapacitated.

The idea is a gentle meander around town stopping at a dozen or so London Pubs that have an interesting history, an odd name, or that are just plain unusual. Before you ask, we won't be going in each of the pubs. Sorry.

Subject to recce, the route is around 15 miles, and will likely finish at the cafe in Russell Square. I expect us to be there around 1.00pm, give or take. It would be more appropriate if we could finish in a pub close by, but as time is short I'm unlikely to be able to do the research. If any of you want to suggest somewhere suitable, please let me know. (Needs to be a decent size, safe bike parking, and serving light food).

Meet at Hyde Park Corner (by the Royal Artillery Memorial) at 9.30am, leaving as soon as the Horse Guards have passed (usually about 9:45am). There'll be a quick comfort break part way round, but it's best if you use the facilities in Hyde Park (you'll need 20p) before you rock up to the start.

I've tagged below those who had expressed an interest in the ride this replaces. As with any ride at this time of year, biblical weather will force a postponement, but at present the forecasts are good.

@Trickedem
@rb58
@GM
@wanda2010
@Nick Saddlesore (I think)
@jiberjaber
@CharlieB
@sagefly and all his friends ;-)
@samsbike
@Mark Grant
@GrumpyGregry
@Blue Hills
@Gordon P

The small print, just as a reminder: This is not a formal ride under the auspices of any club. We will be just a bunch of friends on a ride together and Tim’s role will be simply to guide us round a route. As such, you will be riding under your own insurance.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Only a dozen pubs? Surely some mistake! :smile:

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Me too, weather permitting. If we did go in all the pubs it might become a death-themed ride.....

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Recce is being done tomorrow, with a second one on Saturday if I can navigate around the People's Vote March.

Weather forecast is looking good.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Recce done. It's a good route. And sunshine is forecast.

There are 14 pubs on our route, however we've been to one of them on a previous ride, so I will be testing your memories with a little test when we get there. We'll also swing by the tank as we'll be in the vicinity and there may be some on the ride who haven't seen it. Even if you have, it's had a coat of paint since we were last there.

We'll finish up either at a pub out near Paddington, or in the cafe in Russell Square. We'll decide that on the day depending on how we're doing for time. I expect us to be at our destination by about 1.00pm, give or take.

This is the last themed ride of the year, so be good to see you all before the winter sets in. Remember, it's is a very informal affair - no registration or anything like that. If you’re not coming along, no need to let anyone know as we’ll leave as soon as the Horse Guards have passed, with whoever is at the start. If you are coming, but get held up on your way to HPC and want us to wait (or meet us on the route), give me a call. And if you don’t already have my phone number, PM me.

Just as a reminder, this is not a formal ride under the auspices of any club. We are just a bunch of friends on a ride and my role is simply to guide you round a route. As such, you are riding under your own insurance.

See you Sunday.

Top Bottom