England : London Sunday London Ride Goes to the Movies - 15 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Normally the Sunday London Ride is on the second Sunday of the month, however, the second weekend in April is a clash with the FNRttC Whitstable edition, so this 'special' will be the week after. Hopefully it won't be snowed off this time. As a reminder:

The idea: A gentle meander in the best tradition of Sunday London Rides stopping at some of the places around London which have featured in well-known (and maybe not such well known) films over the years. Conversational pace, lycra optional.

The route will be around 20 miles. Originally it was 26 miles, but I think that's too far for us to get to our destination at a reasonable time. Don't worry though, you'll only miss one location if we take the shorter route.

Meet at Hyde Park Corner (by the Royal Artillery Memorial) at 9.30am, leaving as soon as the Horse Guards have passed (usually about 9:45am). This time we will not be heading through Hyde Park, so if you want to use the ‘facilities’ in Hyde Park before we leave, please do that on your way to the start. You’ll need a 20p piece.

We’ll end up out east at Trinity Buoy Wharf at around 1.30pm for refreshments at Fat Boys Diner (which of course featured in the film Sliding Doors). There'll be a quick comfort break at around half way.

For those that need it, I’ll lead people back to central London after refreshments have been taken. There is also the option to use the cable car and ride back to central London via Greenwich. Or even the Woolwich ferry, if that's your fancy.

A show of hands for 15 April please.

The small print, just as a reminder: This is not a formal ride under the auspices of any club. We will be just a bunch of friends on a ride together and my role will be simply to guide you round a route. As such, you will be riding under your own insurance.

Have put this in the diary.

Can't see any weather complications with this.

not sure if i can make the ride but if you are interested in cinema buildings as well as locations there are two ex cinemas opposite one another on Woolwich high st/Powis st if you decide to take the woolwich ferry north to south [ which is a fun thing to do on a bike anyway, and you can cycle riverside back to woolwich almost all the way except for the east end of the thames barrier]

its worth trying to get into The Granada Cinema in Powis Street, Woolwich, opposite the Odeon Cinema which is now a Church, was built in 1937 by Cecil Masey, (who also designed Wimbledon Theatre), and Slater and Uren, with a truly spectacular Venetian Gothic interior created by the Russian set designer Theodore Komisarjevsky who also created the similarly lavish interior of the Tooting Granada. The Cinema opened on the 20th of April 1937 with an immense capacity of around 3,000 people.
The Grand is now a bingo hall now but you may be able to ask if they will let you in to see the interior which is well worth a look.

The Odeon opposite has an art deco/moderne exterior and although now a church [ maybe in use on a Sunday] is also worth a look inside if they have preserved the interior which is also classic deco.

Just a thought
bob

I have been in both the Woolwich and Tooting Granadas on September Open Houses. The Tooting one is a regular I think but seem to remember that the Woolwich one has skipped some recent years. Thank God for bingo. Which also probably saved the Forest Hill Capitol from demolition - not up to the standard of the above two cinemas but still an interesting interior and now a fine purveyor of quality beer to the democratic masses. So in the best tradition of its original purpose and the intervening bingo period.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@ianrauk - Is this the ride you mean? It is tempting, but I would need to be with someone I know otherwise I will get super anxious :eek::cry:

I should be going Charlotte. :okay:

Top Bottom