England : London Sunday London Ride: Tiny Edition. 15 October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I missed the ride but got to see Jenny Sonia Vickstar and theClaude

G0010372.JPG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
oh bollocks... if I had known @theclaud and @topcat1 where going to be there I wouldn't have done an early runner ... drat and double drat.
Please say so next time peeps.

wanda2010

Guru
A good day out. The 'tiny' bits were very interesting but, to be honest, riding with my mates was the main event for me Nice to see some new faces amongst the 'old' ones ;):smile: As always, London on a Sunday morning is much nicer than during my working week and the sun was a bonus. A shame I didn't see Hugh Grant doing his thing, but the amount of vehicles in various parts of London related to filming was a reminder that this city is more than just traffic and 'bloody pedestrians/tourists, getting in my way' :laugh:

Ross. That hill. Once is more than enough, thank you. When you've got time, could you put up a list (or summat) of the places we visited please? I plan to revisit some of them before the weather descends into misery.

@theclaud - hope the journey home isn't as revolting as feared.

Monopoly Ride - bring it on :hello:

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks to everyone who came along to today's ride. It was good to ride with some of the regulars, and great to see some new folks. London is full of surprises, so hopefully you discovered something a bit different today. @wanda2010, we visited:

The thinnest house in London [Thurloe Square]
The smallest theatre [Finborough], although the Etcetera theatre in Camden Market claims that title too.
The smallest pub [The Dove in Hammersmith - the bar is 4'2 x 7'10]
The smallest House in London [10 Hyde Park place]
The smallest public square [Pickering Place, off St James Street]
The smallest police 'station' [Trafalgar Square]
The narrowest alley in London [Brydges Place] - the narrowest point being just 15" wide at the St Martin's Lane end.
The site of the Bog House in Lincoln's Inn
The smallest listed building [Ostler's Hut, Lincolns Inn]
We rode along Roupell Street - not because it's small but because it's one of my favourite streets
We didn't ride along the shortest thoroughfare [Leigh Hunt Street] as it's no longer there. But it does still feature on Google Street view so you can see what it used to be like (the street name is blurred unfortunately) - all 36' of it.
We did find the shortest street [Clennam Street - 26 metres] however, since it was pedestrianised, Candover Street claims to be the shortest at 41 metres.
I was intending us to do a loop of Borough Market where we could have gone by The Rake pub, which is another tiny pub, but as far as I can see its main claim to fame is that it served London's most expensive pint - £13.40. We skipped that due to the time.
The smallest statue [Mice in Philpot Lane]
The smallest church [St Ethelgerger's on Bishopsgate]
The narrowest road, complete with double yellow lines and a hill [Crawford Passage] - at its narrowest, the gap between the yellow lines is 15cm.
Again due to time, we didn't go up to Kings Cross to ride round Keystone Crescent, which is Europe's tiniest crescent. And unusually it has houses on both sides. It's pretty, and hidden away, but well worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods.

And for @topcat1 [who couldn't get out of bed in time] here's the route.

I plan to make these a regular feature in 2018, so keep an eye out. In the meantime, I'll start a thread shortly for the Sunday London Ride: Monopoly Edition.

Top Bottom