England : Hertfordshire Sunday Morning Cupcake ride 3 February

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK - the roll call thus far :-
Marshy Fluffles
Chris and Jacqui
Redflightuk
Becs
Jayonabike
TheGreenMan
Martin235
gains84
Mchunt
mallory
Paulus
MrStan
Ianrauk
RB58

Looks like a reasonable posse :thumbsup:
We may be pushing the limits of what the Datchworth tea shop can accommodate - I'll give them a ring.
There are other options - Church Farm at Ardeley springs to mind.
There will definitely be a :cuppa: :mrpig: stop.

philk56

Guru
Hi, another probable here - I'll be arriving with Paulus. Sorry if that pushes the tea shop over the limit!

rb58

Enigma
Can you reveal the mileage for this please? I'm just planning my 'there and back' journeys and I want to make sure I get a century ride in.
Cheers

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Righty-ho. The route is subject to change, depending on weather and such, but I'm expecting it to be 20-25 miles. I've not ridden that exact route, so I don't know the precise mileage.
We'll be going out of Stevenage towards Weston, peeling off towards Halls Green, then Walkern, up to Benington, into Watton at Stone then up to Datchworth, and then back to Stevenage. My route planning software gives this as 22 miles.
Depending on numbers, we may go to Church Farm at Ardeley, which would potentially add a couple of miles. It's a bit more expensive, so I don't go there as often.
If you need a specific number of miles, tell me what it is and I'll try and hit it! We can always do a Tour de Cyclepaths if necessary.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well.. if it was :sun:and :heat: we would be living in bl**dy Spain!!!

:hyper:
I fail to see why that would be a bad thing, personally.
Let's look at the relative scores :-
Cheap and plentiful red wine Spain 1, UK nil
Sunny weather Spain 1, UK nil
A warm(ish) sea Spain 1, UK nil
Decent skiing Spain 1, UK nil. Again
Add into that a royal family that's not a cringing embarrassment, good food and a public transport system that's not unutterably useless, and Spain seems to have it pretty well sorted!

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Another weather update - the roads will be damp but we shouldn't get rained on. None the less, I wouldn't wash your bike specially, unless you're fastidious about that sort of thing. Ian.
Meeting place is on the cycle track by the station, near the huge poster.
Anyone arriving by train, come up the stairs from the platform, through the ticket barriers and then turn left, signed for the town centre. Past Costas is correct, past the photo machine is not :biggrin:
Go down either set of stairs before you cross the footbridge over the dual carriageway, and head for the (rather obvious) bike sheds. We'll be behind them (oo-er!)
Anyone driving, use any of the station car parks, get onto the cycle path, and head towards the station.
Tea stop will be Church Farm, Ardeley or Datchworth Old Post Office, depending on numbers.

Gains84

Sounds good, went for my first road ride with the healing hand today which was good so il be there!:smile: first group ride too so will I be laughed at if im on commuter road bike with mudguards and rack?:s

outlash

also available in orange
I fail to see why that would be a bad thing, personally.
Let's look at the relative scores :-
Cheap and plentiful red wine Spain 1, UK nil
Sunny weather Spain 1, UK nil
A warm(ish) sea Spain 1, UK nil
Decent skiing Spain 1, UK nil. Again
Add into that a royal family that's not a cringing embarrassment, good food and a public transport system that's not unutterably useless, and Spain seems to have it pretty well sorted!

don't hold back, say what you think...

Tony.

Top Bottom