England : Greater Manchester Sunday: Snake Pass & Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi

I am posting up a proposed forum ride.

I would like to gauge the interest and try to figure out a date over the next few days, then the date and time will be finalised and we will go from there.

The proposed route is a hilly ride and I anticipate it will be fairly challenging, but it will be undertaken at a leisurely pace and no one will be left behind, we will regroup at the top of each climb. There will be time for a brief stop in Holmfirth to refuel if needed.

Date: TBC
Start / Finish: Glossop
Distance: Approx 50 mile (just under)
Total Climb: 3,582.68 ft
Average Speed: As fast as the slowest rider (but please respect the challenge).
Total Time for Event: 5 Hours estimated

Route: Head out from Glossop, climb the snake pass, drop down to Ladybower then out to Holmfirth. From there we will refuel and head up over Holme Moss, drop over the other side for a very brief section on Woodhead road then turn off and head back into Glossop.

Route / map can be found here:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/82717673

A much nicer in depth description with images can be found here:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/wtr-road-Snake-Pass-Holme-Moss-Loop-0

Thanks for reading and please let me know if there is any interest and what dates you would prefer. I propose a Sunday as Saturday mornings are generally off limits for me due to other commitments.

PS. Any interested Manchester parties can meet up to either cycle out to Glossop together or to jump a train. If riding this will take the distance up to about 80 mile.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Rob.

That sounds a great route but I can tell you now that aiming for 13-16 mph on it is not what 90% of CC members would call 'leisurely' or even achievable! Once you start waiting for slower riders you will achieve more like 8-10 mph and less than that if someone has a bad day.

I have ridden with a representative sample of about 100 local CC members on my hilly forum rides so I know what a wide range of abilities turn out.

You will either have to accept a much lower speed, or tell people that only those fit enough should do the ride.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As said, I/we will take it as fast as the slowest rider. I was hesitant to put up any speed details but figured some people would want to be able to estimate at least a ball park figure how long we will be out for planning purposes, what with family commitments etc. If people need it to go slower, things will go slower. I am aiming for social here, speed is not a priority.

Thanks for the feedback though, this is my 1st time trying to get together a forum ride, so all advice is much appreciated. Based on your comments, I will omit speed detail and adjust the time to suggest approx 5 hours, that comes out at just under 10mph average. I would ask that riders do respect the challenge though.

TBH, this is probably going to be challenging for me actually having been off the bike for a long time and not hit the hills for even longer :tongue:

ColinJ

TBH, this is probably going to be challenging for me actually having been off the bike for a long time and not hit the hills for even longer :tongue:
Oh dear ...! :whistle:

I've ridden all those roads in the past few years, including Strines Moor a couple of months ago and that was extremely hard.

No disrespect Rob, but I thought you were a super-hard rider from Manchester Wheelers (or other top local club) quoting average speeds like that.

If you can get round that loop in anywhere near 5 hours when you are fresh back on the bike, then you must have an awful lot of natural talent! I strongly suggest that you try riding straight from Glossop to Woodhead and see how far you get up Holme Moss before you crack!

I did similar loops after 2 years back on the bike and I was struggling round in about 5.5 hours even then.

Anyway - good luck and let us know how you get on! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Oh dear ...! :whistle:

I've ridden all those roads in the past few years, including Strines Moor a couple of months ago and that was extremely hard.

No disrespect Rob, but I thought you were a super-hard rider from Manchester Wheelers (or other top local club) quoting average speeds like that.

If you can get round that loop in anywhere near 5 hours when you are fresh back on the bike, then you must have an awful lot of natural talent! I strongly suggest that you try riding straight from Glossop to Woodhead and see how far you get up Holme Moss before you crack!

I did similar loops after 2 years back on the bike and I was struggling round in about 5.5 hours even then.

Anyway - good luck and let us know how you get on! :thumbsup:

I was in the Manchester Wheelers for a period of time, but my membership has lapsed, I am going to re-join very soon.

As for the 5 hours, let's see. Still plan to put this together as a forum ride if there is interest.

ColinJ

I was in the Manchester Wheelers for a period of time, but my membership has lapsed, I am going to re-join very soon.

As for the 5 hours, let's see. Still plan to put this together as a forum ride if there is interest.
There are definitely some very fit riders in that club! I've had them shoot past me up the Cragg Vale climb and they must have been doing close to 20 mph!

could be interested if you can organise some nice weather as well^_^

Would prefer to aim for sub 5 hours than vice versa.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I will do my best with the weather :tongue:

I agree aim for sub-5, if someone is struggling though, they wont be left. I have not done this route before, but will do a scouting run before hand if I can to get a better idea of the time it will take.

Any preference on dates etc?

Not the 2nd of Sept as that is the Manc 100, other than that any Sunday for me, Time, whatever is best for anyone else, I will either drive or ride to Glossop depending if I can be arsed to climb Holme Moss 3 times in one day:wacko:

400bhp

Guru
you need to stick the route somewhere where you don't have to register to see it.

Agree with Colin-no chance for a 5 hour ride (including stops) with an open forum ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
May be up for this - got Man 100 planned on 2nd Sept though.

Have you ridden Strines then :laugh:. You've got 3 sharp 1 in 4's to tackle - no choice as it's the same in both directions - down then up x 3 !!

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
you need to stick the route somewhere where you don't have to register to see it.

Agree with Colin-no chance for a 5 hour ride (including stops) with an open forum ride.

I didnt notice this issue with the map, should now be resolved.

If the route is too tough for a 5 hour outing, then anyone with better knowledge of the peaks care to suggest some "simplifier's" or "bail out options"?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's fine as a route (part of it's my Sat am route) - the challenge is whether people are aiming for sub-5 hours or a standard group ride, which will be longer.

Top Bottom