Sunglasses options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teletext45

Can anyone help me, I'm only the lookout for some new sunglasses. My biggest issue is I'm got a slim face so the majority of sunglasses are to big and generally look stupid.

I'd like some oakleys something along those lines...

anyone with the same issue? recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

Bodie

Jawbones.

They may be big but they fit brilliantly. You get a second set of nose pieces so you can alter how close they fit to your face. I have had loads of pairs but these are head and shoulders above anything else I have had.

They may be expensive but they are worth every penny.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oakley took X METAL® all the way with this latest creation. Oakley X SQUARED™ continues a legacy of invention by blending lightweight titanium alloy with some of the most advanced technologies ever to hone light rays. This is how originality gets aggressive, and the look is not for the uninitiated. It’s for those who defy the architects of life and put up their own blueprint.

Oakley X METAL is the only 3-D sculptured, hypoallergenic, all-metal frame family on Earth. The strength-to-weight ratio is phenomenal and the feel is surprisingly light. Resilient flex couplers allow the frame to fit comfortably around the head. UNOBTAINIUM® components actually increase grip with sweat as they provide the contact zones for a Three-Point Fit that holds the lenses in precise alignment.

The optical performance of X SQUARED is what you would expect from Oakley. First off, the lenses are made with Oakley HYDROPHOBIC™/Oleophobic technology, a performance coating that lets water slide off to help keep your vision clear. It also fights smudges from skin oils and lotions, and it even repels dust. The lenses themselves have a full 8.75 base curvature with the clarity of patented XYZ OPTICS®, a benefit of HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS® (HDO®)

Features:
• Oakley HDPolarized -Minimized glare via technology that produces the best polarized lenses on the planet with greater than 99% polarization efficiency (optional)
• Optimized peripheral vision and side protection of 8.75 base lens curvature
• Optical precision and impact resistance that meets or exceed Z87.1 optical and high impact standards
• Comes standard with Oakley HYDROPHOBIC™/Oleophobic anti– smudge lens coating on all lens options
• UV protection of PLUTONITE® lens material that filters out 100% of UVA/UVB/UVC & harmful blue light up to 400nm
• Patented XYZ Optics® for maximum clarity at all angles of vision
• Oakley X METAL® : the only 3-D sculpted, hypoallergenic, all metal frame on earth
• Lightweight Titanium alloy with phenomenal strength-to-weight ratio and rugged durability
• Internal flex couplers allow flexibility for precise fit
• Patented hydrophilic UNOBTAINIUM® earsocks and nosepads ensure a snug, secure fit
• Comfort and performance of Three-Point Fit that holds lenses in precise optical alignment

Six quid buys you these....

http://www.thesafety...BO-CONTPSI.html

Three hundred buys you these....

http://www.chainreac...35f13e1c92b1f45

Before you buy the Oakley's, just read the blurb, and reflect. Do yourself a favour.:thumbsup:

brockers

Bolle safety glasses make you look ridiculous if you've got a slim face like mine. I've got some Uvex Blaze (interchangeable lenses too). They're a (very) poor man's HalfJacket at £24 but look pretty good on my svelte fizzog. One thing I can't justify is really good sports sunglasses as I'll almost certainly lose them or sit on them at some stage during the year! Always worth having a shufty at Bloc's stuff at the value end too, and Rudy Project which seem to be a bit less expensive than Oakley

zizou

Veteran
I have jawbones (and radars and a couple of other pairs of non-sport oakley too) and would always recommend them. Good optics, very well fitting and one of the best about in terms of customer service. The big downside is of course the expense!

If you have a slim face then the split jackets might be a better option than jawbones.

(for what its worth if i am mountain biking in a forest or at night then i often use a clear pair of bolle safety glasses - they do the job fine (i wouldnt use them if they didnt do their job) but in no way can the quality of the lens or fit be compared favourably to the jawbones or radars.)

Fiona N

Veteran
Another Oakley fan here :biggrin: I have (far too many) several pairs of M frames, Half jackets, and non-sports sunglasses plus two pairs of reading/bifocal glasses.

I like them because my ears are too close to my face for most other glasses to stay on properly - I hate constantly pushing the damn things back up onto the bridge of my nose :angry: Oakleys stay where you put them.

Good optics and bullet-proof lenses (well, I haven't tested them against actual bullets but bits of stone spit up from the road by cars have twice left scratches on the lenses - I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing good specs) as well as a range of different lenses and their general lightness and robustness make them a cracking investment. The after sales replacement for damage means that they actually work out pretty good value. E.g. my 'oldest' pair - actually replacement frame but the original lens - were bought in the US in about 1992/1993 - I think they were about $80 - not bad for nearly 20 years of use for cycling, running, trekking, mountaineering, cutting the hawthorn hedge and drilling into masonry.

Jonathing

Über Member
+1 for Jawbones.

I have a child sized face, I wear teenagers glasses most of the time, and Jawbones look fine on me. They have plenty of peripheral vision and look bitchin' what more do you need from sunglasses? I started looking at Half Jackets thinking they'd suit my tiny head better but Jawbones won out in the end. Plus with the switchable lenses I have some prescription and some non-prescription ones, which is bloody genius.

monnet

Guru
I've got a pair of half jacket 'Asian Fit' (well, that's the name in the US, they might be called slim fit or something over here). They're the standard half jacket but a narrower fit. I too have a slim face and they work brilliantly. I bought them for on and off bike use and they look more than respectable as casual wear.

The optics are superb as well.

brockers

Without checking, I thought the Asian fit was something to do with the arms or the bridge bit in the glasses being mounted slightly lower so that the glasses don't slide down your boat. Something to do with Asian people having, in general, slightly flatter noses around the bridge, and higher cheekbones than Cock-asians. The width is the same. (I'm probably wrong).

Simon Mason

Can anyone help me, I'm only the lookout for some new sunglasses. My biggest issue is I'm got a slim face so the majority of sunglasses are to big and generally look stupid.

I'd like some oakleys something along those lines...

anyone with the same issue? recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

Get a pair of video recording sunglasses they protect your eyes and film your ride at the same time.

Search ebay for video glasses 720p

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

Reckon its gonna be jawbones, i think i might wait til next year.

I'm hoping to start racing next season so if i put the work in over winter I'll make them a treat to myself for the start of the racing season....

yes i know i'm a geek

Top Bottom