sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
ColinJ said:
Just waiting for delivery of clear winter glasses, inspired by Tim Bennet's tip here. A company in Bolton selling Bolle Contour for £6.99 incl.

I've been buying those for years. Good glasses.

yenrod

hongokongo said:
Cyclists awlays seem to wear sunglasses.even in the rain. Are they necessary, maybe to keep flies out, are or they just part of the image!!?

You only a saddo if you wear dark sunglasses in the rain :blush:

I do wear glasses all the time when in the gear !

knapdog

I have to wear glasses to see where I'm going, with Reactolites when it's sunny! But, what do glasses' wearers do when it's raining cos I can't see a thing without "windscreen wipers"? Contact lenses would be the answer but then my eyes dry out with the wind. Can glasses be coated with anything so that the rain doesn't "stick" on the lens?!?!?

wyno70

Same as eveyone else. I wear them year round, summer = tinted, autumn, winter & early spring = clear.

Keeps any muck, rain and the wind out of my eyes.

As others have mentioned, I have had nasty experiences without them in the past and as much as anything, they stop my eyes watering when I'm going fast!

Currently hoping Santa brings me a pair of 'Rudy Project' glasses for Christmas!

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
Eeuugh! What a thoroughly offensive website - a dozen pages of fantasy for people who get a stiffy at the idea of punching, kicking or bludgeoning the shite out of "terrorists".

I know that's not you, Colin, so I can understand why you didn't want to point customers in their direction. I think I'll find somewhere else to buy cycling glasses.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ASC1951 said:
Eeuugh! What a thoroughly offensive website - a dozen pages of fantasy for people who get a stiffy at the idea of punching, kicking or bludgeoning the shite out of "terrorists".

I know that's not you, Colin, so I can understand why you didn't want to point customers in their direction. I think I'll find somewhere else to buy cycling glasses.
TBH, I just Googled for "Bolle safety glasses" and picked the cheapest place I found because I'm skint! :tongue:

Yes - the paramilitary stuff on the site is weird. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as 'Israeli Martial Arts', but that's what the company teaches!

Will1985

Über Member
I'm another contacts wearer - can't ride without some form of eye protection. A pair of PBK glasses for £15 is really good value when you can swap between 5 different lenses for varying light conditions.

solmisation

As with a lot of the replies above, I wear sunglasses all the time, at the moment I have yellow lenses in the frames, they keep all the crap and rain out of your eyes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
hongokongo said:
What is the advantage of yellow lenses, compared to clear or dark?
Thanks
Dark lenses are for when it is bright to make it seem darker (and protect your eyes from insects, grit, cold wind etc.).

Clear lenses are for when it is pretty dark to not make it seem darker (and protect your eyes from insects, grit, cold wind etc.).

Yellow lenses are for when it is somewhere in between and have a contrast-enhancing effect (and protect your eyes from insects, grit, cold wind etc.).

For those of you who don't think wearing eye protection when out cycling is necessary...
  • I rode with a glasses-free mate once who got hit in the eye by a large bluebottle on a fast descent. He almost crashed and by the time I got to him, his eye looked like he'd been punched by Mike Tyson! He developed the biggest, nastiest black eye I've ever seen.
  • When I bought my first pair of cycling glasses, I went out for a ride to try them out. The council had just resurfaced the local roads and there were loose chippings everywhere, and a 20 mph speed limit in place. A moron shot drove past me at high speed firing up a a shower of chippings behind him. One stone smacked hard into the centre of the right lens, cracking it. It was directly in front of my eye!
  • For the first in years, I went out without glasses on and a gust of wind picked up a load of grit and I got it in both eyes. I washed as much out of my eyes as I could but then had to ride home barely able to see.

I'd strongly recommend wearing eye protection every time you ride your bike.

Top Bottom