Suntour EBBB 18 ATS crossfire ebike BB overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mine has circa 2.5k miles on it and I detect a grumble. Looks like a sealed unit at first although the non drive side bearing is an exposed cartridge type.
20200329_134258.jpg
It's a Really long axle length 136mm, couldnt find an easier source alternative so thought I'd have a play, thinking I might drill it, inject some grease etc but found a light smack on the axle on the drive side simply drove the axle through the casing leaving this....(dont really know what prompted me to try it when I think about it)
20200330_095100.jpg

You then realise it's a cartridge bearing in the drive side as well.
Insert a watchmakers screwdriver down the tube to flip out the bearing seal...
20200330_095124.jpg

Clean out with WD, insert plenty of grease, press seal back in.
The non drive, exposed bearing is impossible to remove the seal without damaging it a little, the stop ring is slightly bigger diameter so you have to distort the seal somewhat but did the same, clean, re grease.
Re-assembly was simple, it's a barely interference fit, I pressed it back together with very little force. Test ride, all seems fine and free.
Even if it doesnt last another 2.5k miles, it should last a good while...and definately fare better than doing nothing at all.

Good job, but the failure is all your fault. These BBs should only be used for cross-country purposes. It says so clearly on the label. You've probably abused it on paved roads and such.

That snap ring can come off, given a bit of blood and broken tools. The bearing is commercially available, before you put it back, make a note of the size (or codes) and write it down somewhere safe. Next time you can just slip some new bearings on there.
Good BBs in that axle length are sometimes difficult to find.

Top Bottom