Suntour XCR MG forks, any good?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
We've done a few 20 milers on the bikes, he's fitter than me (which isn't saying much to be fair!).

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Found a pot of 200 1/4 ball bearings at work so we rebuilt the back hub tonight for free!. Smooth as silk now and no play, luckily the cones were in good shape.

Set the gears up properly (they were a mile out of adjustment) and fitted a spare disk to the back wheel.

Just waiting for a full set of disk pads to turn up and job will be a good one!.

Lhs pedal is a bit grumbly, might strip and grease that at some point..

20191121_193439.jpg

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well got in from work tonight and went on a 50 mile mini road trip with the boy!, he thought he was giving me a lift with some kitchen units..

Bike is in really good condition overall, going to grease/ replace the rear hub bearings and set gears up/ fetal it with my lad but he's genuinely over the moon with it as you can see!.

View attachment 493632
Look at that smile!
Looks a good buy that,
My daughters carrera had an xcm suntour fork with preload adjust only, which was way to stiff for her weight, you could barely get any movement on them under “normal” trail riding (she’s aged 13)
Ive swapped them for a rockshox 30 solo air fork from chain reaction which I can set up for her weight, but there are always some on eBay, although forks with dropouts with 9mm QR are getting rarer these days.
My sons carrera has suntour xcr 32 which have preload, compression lockout and rebound, although coil they seem ok to be fair, 120 mm travel and they do seem quite plush.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Look at that smile!
Looks a good buy that,
My daughters carrera had an xcm suntour fork with preload adjust only, which was way to stiff for her weight, you could barely get any movement on them under “normal” trail riding (she’s aged 13)
Ive swapped them for a rockshox 30 solo air fork from chain reaction which I can set up for her weight, but there are always some on eBay, although forks with dropouts with 9mm QR are getting rarer these days.
My sons carrera has suntour xcr 32 which have preload, compression lockout and rebound, although coil they seem ok to be fair, 120 mm travel and they do seem quite plush.

Yep the smile makes it all worth while, nice to spend time with him making it just right as well!.

To be honest the XCR forks aren't that bad at all, he's about the right weight it seems so they're a good match.

There's a good couple of years before he needs a new frame so could put another set of forks on the bike in the future but to be honest he's over the moon with it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yep the smile makes it all worth while, nice to spend time with him making it just right as well!.

To be honest the XCR forks aren't that bad at all, he's about the right weight it seems so they're a good match.

There's a good couple of years before he needs a new frame so could put another set of forks on the bike in the future but to be honest he's over the moon with it.
Agreed, if they soak up some bumps then they’ll do! My daughters xcm’s wouldn’t unless she probably trebled her weight!
My son is only 11 and like I said the xcr’s on his bike are fine.

Drago

Legendary Member
They have no damping whatsoever, so in NET terms the front of the bike will vBob up and down as much as before, but instead of tracking terrain you're simply riding a spring as it unloads. Leaving aside an absolutely miniscule amount of energy lost as heat inside the spring, the rider still experiences the same amount of movement at the handlebars. Physics always balances the books.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
They have no damping whatsoever, so in NET terms the front of the bike will vBob up and down as much as before, but instead of tracking terrain you're simply riding a spring as it unloads. Leaving aside an absolutely miniscule amount of energy lost as heat inside the spring, the rider still experiences the same amount of movement at the handlebars. Physics always balances the books.
Who are you taking to drago?

Nytsom

Nice looking bike; bet he's chuffed to bits with it..

Top Bottom