Super secure bike locks worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
What if the cars are really small and light and the van is really big?

And they were really big blokes?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What if the cars are really small and light and the van is really big?

And they were really big blokes?

A tiny friend of mine had spent the weekend with her tiny best mate in a tiny campervan at a campsite in the Yorkshire Dales.

It rained a lot while they were there. When they tried to leave, the van immediately got bogged down in the mud. The two women sat on the dry stone wall next to the van, scratching their heads, and wondering what to do next...

Suddenly, they heard voices. Deep, male voices. Lots of deep, male voices. The members of a rugby team had been for a hike and just happened to be walking past the campsite at that moment.

My pal put on a theatrical 'little girl lost' voice... "Oh, we are stuck. If only we had some big, strong men to help us!"

The big, strong men heard that and vaulted over the wall into the mud. They surrounded the van. "1, 2, 3 - LIFT!!!"

One man opened the gate. His van-bearing teammates walked through with said vehicle, and gently lowered it onto the road.

"Ooh, our heroes!"

Laughter all round...

Punkawallah

Über Member
A tiny friend of mine had spent the weekend with her tiny best mate in a tiny campervan at a campsite in the Yorkshire Dales.

It rained a lot while they were there. When they tried to leave, the van immediately got bogged down in the mud. The two women sat on the dry stone wall next to the van, scratching their heads, and wondering what to do next...

Suddenly, they heard voices. Deep, male voices. Lots of deep, male voices. The members of a rugby team had been for a hike and just happened to be walking past the campsite at that moment.

My pal put on a theatrical 'little girl lost' voice... "Oh, we are stuck. If only we had some big, strong men to help us!"

The big, strong men heard that and vaulted over the wall into the mud. They surrounded the van. "1, 2, 3 - LIFT!!!"

One man opened the gate. His van-bearing teammates walked through with said vehicle, and gently lowered it onto the road.

"Ooh, our heroes!"

Laughter all round...

Who needs ‘strong, confident, independent women’ when you have a rugby team :-)

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I'm paying for insurance, and I comply with the terms of that insurance (Yellow Jersey, BTW) in terms of where and how I lock it, is it just a silly waste of money to go even further in terms of security?

My advice to anyone, not just the OP who must have this sorted by now:

A friend asked my advice on purchasing a bike lock for her son, to leave his brand new bike in Bristol in an under-flats garage every night near the centre of the city. I told her what I used when leaving my bike for a few hours each time if I was in Bath (marginally less theft there). 2 Abus U locks, locked to different railings and a long flexible cable around the wheels. Saddle is always loop locked to pannier rack, never taken off, but long cable also gets passed through the pannier frame. At the time my locks were £70 each and gold secure.
"I am not paying that, its ridiculous to pay that for a bike lock. He does not need 2, why on earth do you use 2? !"

I think the £30 lock she got him lasted quite well, as he had the bike for about 2 weeks before it was stolen.

And then the financial and other 'costs' started. All the calls to the insurance, submitting the correct ownership details, trying to source (all over the place) the same sort of bike (failed), hunting around trying to find a different sort of bike to replace it. All the very local bus fares (at the time around £4 a day which quickly build up) and any fares further afield. Taxis are more expensive. Having to travel at times that fitted the bus company. Journeys taking longer by bus/train. The eventual cost of having to replace the bike lock, which was left unusable on the floor after the theft.

So to anyone, I would say when choosing a lock:

- cost in all your time used up if your bike is stolen
- work out alternative travel costs and travel inconveniences for the several weeks or more you will be awaiting insurance payout and while sourcing/receiving a replacement bike.
- replacement lock costs (chances are you will upgrade too, so dearer than 1st lock)
- how much do you care if you cannot replace your bike with an identical or near identical one?
- are you sentimental about the bike you have?
- not relevant to some insurance policies, but as bike prices have soared, will they still pay out enough to even buy a 2nd hand one (check your policy with care)?

Is a premium lock worth it to you?
Well only you can put values on the above and balance it out.

Last edited:
You do have to factor in everything
If the bike is essential to get to work (or similar) then the extra costs of bus or taxi or whatever has to be included

If it is only used to exercise/pleasure then this may be different - maybe you just go to the gym more often at no extra cost - or maybe not

But if you have decent insurance then you should be able to replace the bike fairly quickly (maybe??)

it really needs thinking about taking everything into account as said above!

geocycle

Legendary Member
There’s no easy answers to locks. My commuter bike is insured and has an abus granit gold rated lock that stays in the locked bike shed. If I go shopping with this bike another mini gold rated lock comes with me. The insurance requires a gold rated lock. My two Ti bikes are not insured as I would need a gold rated lock to satisfy the insurers and in my opinion it is unreasonable to carry 1-2 kg of lock on a Sunday ride. Also the risk is far lower as I’m either riding or in a rural cafe. A decent abus cable lock comes on those rides as a deterrent to opportunists and being a cable is easy to fasten to various street furniture. If someone could produce a 500g gold rated lock I’d be interested.

presta

Guru
After I totted up, I found that the panniers and contents hanging on my £465 bike were worth over £700, so I decided that the merit of an expensive lock was little more than a cheap one, so I avoid leaving it any longer than the few minutes it takes to buy groceries, and just use a brass padlock with a length of chain.

An occasion when I reckon I came close to losing it was after I'd just unlocked it, and turned my back on it for 10-15 seconds to pick up the panniers.

SO8

Veteran
My advice to anyone, not just the OP who must have this sorted by now:

A friend asked my advice on purchasing a bike lock for her son, to leave his brand new bike in Bristol in an under-flats garage every night near the centre of the city. I told her what I used when leaving my bike for a few hours each time if I was in Bath (marginally less theft there). 2 Abus U locks, locked to different railings and a long flexible cable around the wheels. Saddle is always loop locked to pannier rack, never taken off, but long cable also gets passed through the pannier frame. At the time my locks were £70 each and gold secure.
"I am not paying that, its ridiculous to pay that for a bike lock. He does not need 2, why on earth do you use 2? !"

I think the £30 lock she got him lasted quite well, as he had the bike for about 2 weeks before it was stolen.

And then the financial and other 'costs' started. All the calls to the insurance, submitting the correct ownership details, trying to source (all over the place) the same sort of bike (failed), hunting around trying to find a different sort of bike to replace it. All the very local bus fares (at the time around £4 a day which quickly build up) and any fares further afield. Taxis are more expensive. Having to travel at times that fitted the bus company. Journeys taking longer by bus/train. The eventual cost of having to replace the bike lock, which was left unusable on the floor after the theft.

So to anyone, I would say when choosing a lock:

- cost in all your time used up if your bike is stolen
- work out alternative travel costs and travel inconveniences for the several weeks or more you will be awaiting insurance payout and while sourcing/receiving a replacement bike.
- replacement lock costs (chances are you will upgrade too, so dearer than 1st lock)
- how much do you care if you cannot replace your bike with an identical or near identical one?
- are you sentimental about the bike you have?
- not relevant to some insurance policies, but as bike prices have soared, will they still pay out enough to even buy a 2nd hand one (check your policy with care)?

Is a premium lock worth it to you?
Well only you can put values on the above and balance it out.

This is exactly my thoughts ... I want to do all I can to avoid the grief ... I have a bike - a hybrid, a Specialized Crosstrail Pro which cost £1500 and you can't buy anymore ... only their newer 'version' a Sirrus X when I am more than happy with what I have.

After much swapping around of the locks I have, the frame is secured via a Hiplok D1000 D lock, the front wheel via an Abus 540 D Lock and the rear wheel (and frame again) via a Kryptonite 1055 chain.

This is 3 locks securing each bit of the bike and the least weight I can get away with whilst also being 2 x sold secure gold locks and 1 x sold secure diamond. One chain and two different types of D lock - It they want it after that, they are welcome to it ... Oh, saddle secured via a cable to the D1000 too .... me paranoid in London ... never ....

The Abus D lock is attached to the frame. The others in my panniers so I don't notice it too much ... it is not like the bike is a road bike. It weighs 14,5kg anyway. This adds 5.5kg and I am 100kg lol

I have seen it written that women are put off of cycling due to self image, but to me the most off putting aspect of cycling is bike security (and having to carry any panniers etc with you if you walk away from the bike).

Its so tedious to wonder if you bike will still be there.... sometimes I just dont take the bike as its easier to leave it at home than lock it up. Sad thing to write.

I do wonder if I should get some nicer panniers
current ones look scruffy and cheap (but hardy) and are a pain to attach and take off
but I can;t see anyone taking them - worth naff all to a thief

If I had some decent ones they would make my bike look better - but I would have to take them with me

Top Bottom