Super secure bike locks worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

I've got an Abus Granit XPlus 540 which I is diamond graded for pedal cycles.

When I lock my bike up, it is usually in a location I consider relatively secure. I leave my lock at the place I lock the bike. However, as angle grinder attack seems to be the current "serious" method of theft, I was thinking of upgrading to either one of the really heavy duty chain locks aimed at motorcyclists:

https://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=High+Security+Chain+and+Lock+deals

or possibly one of the two "angle grinder clogging" D locks:

https://hiplok.com/product/hiplok-d1000/
Litelok X3
Both of those get very good reviews, after real tests, in terms of how much they slow down an attack with an angle grinder. Like 5 minutes, plus several angle grinder discs, compared to 30 seconds or so for the Abus. I haven't seen any test attacks on a chain.
Here's the thing. All three of the options above are in the £250 region. My bike's insured, and I'm fairly sure that as long as it's locked with the Abus, I'd be covered.

Although utter security is attractive, is there any evidence to demonstrate that super-duper security actually puts thieves off? What I mean is, if they have a go, and write off a £250 lock, then I'm buying another one of those (I think "accessories" might be covered up to £250).

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I'm paying for insurance, and I comply with the terms of that insurance (Yellow Jersey, BTW) in terms of where and how I lock it, is it just a silly waste of money to go even further in terms of security?
And I suppose at the back of my mind is a slight worry of losing the lock key, or the lock being damaged or vandalised in some (as yet unknown) way which means I can't actually remove it. So a very secure but still defeatable lock might actually be preferable.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 121159

Yellow jersey will replace the bike if it's stolen so it's just a matter of how much you mind the process isn't it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A good bike lock is always worth it. But I would always back it up with good insurance and probably a tracker.
Any bike lock can be overcome by a determined thief and an angle grinder. But the vast majority are stolen by oppotunist thieves.
In my opinion a trackers main use is to get to your bike before it gets to the thieves stashing point. Especially if its a block of flats.
Insurance is the must have in my opinion. But even then the insurance company probably will have a stipulation that your bike has to be locked up with a gold standard lock of their choosing. So you need a reciept for such a lock and know where it is when you make your claim .

In my opinion a good r great lock is fine

as long as it is practical

so, for locking it up in your garage and/or shed then a big heavy motorbike chain is a good idea

but there is no point in having a carbon frame helium filled frame with wheels that float off on their own if not held onto - if you have to carry a lock around with it that weighs as much as a small car!
OK - I exagerate

but I would say that you need a reasonably secure lock that will do the job and is small and light enough for you to carry around when you use the bike
of course - based on that - when and how you use the bike is critical
If you use it for commuting and it gets left outside a train station all day then it will need something that is, and looks, meaty
if it only ever gets left alone while you order and essential "tea and cake" at a cafe in the middle of nowhere - then something less meaty might be fine

as long as - as said clearly above - they both comply with the insurance so if the worst happens then you get a new bike!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Is it worth it, well it depends. I have an abus granit in the bike shed at work and a small kryptonite mini for when I go to the shops on the rohloff do it all bike. This bike is insured and requires a gold secure lock like one of these. The extra weight makes no difference on the utility runs and the abus is safe from tampering left at work for the commute. My Ti audax bikes are not insured as Icannot reasonably carry a 1-2 kg gold secure lock and always find a place to attach it during cafe stops. The risk on a rural day ride is much less than the commuter or utility trips so a cable lock suffices.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes, that’s important. The smaller more portable gold sold secure locks are great but I often struggle with finding something robust, yet narrow enough to shackle from the frame, never mind the whole rear triangle.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

When I lock my bike up, it is usually in a location I consider relatively secure. I leave my lock at the place I lock the bike.
Thanks for the replies folks. Some people have commented on weight. In my OP (quoted above) I said that I leave the lock at the place I lock the bike, and also gave a link to a very heavy chain. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but weight isn't really relevant (except in so far as a very heavy chain could possibly damage the frame). The journey is only 4 miles, I can either take the lock/chain in on my first trip, or make a special journey in the car.

What I was more interested in is whether very secure locking devices, like the two "anti-angle-grinder" locks I mentioned, are more of a deterrence than ordinary gold or diamond rated locks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would think the locks I use at work are stronger than the bike loops in the work's shelter. It's behind card access doors, but that doesn't stop tail-gating. Just have a better lock (gold) than others. I don't leave the 'good' bikes anywhere TBH. I've got a NY FAGH Mini, but it's a bit of a pain to lock to stuff as it's quite small, but super tough - I used that when the bike was in relatively 'open' parking at work.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There are four Sold Secure Diamond rated D-locks. As as well as the X3, Litelok have the cheaper X1, and Hiplok have just added the DX1000, which is currently the toughest available. For my Yamahas, I use an X1 plus an Abus Granit 58 lock & chain set. For the bikes, the Granit X Plus 54 (14 years old and as strong as ever). I won't use cafe locks again.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies folks. Some people have commented on weight. In my OP (quoted above) I said that I leave the lock at the place I lock the bike, and also gave a link to a very heavy chain. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but weight isn't really relevant (except in so far as a very heavy chain could possibly damage the frame). The journey is only 4 miles, I can either take the lock/chain in on my first trip, or make a special journey in the car.

What I was more interested in is whether very secure locking devices, like the two "anti-angle-grinder" locks I mentioned, are more of a deterrence than ordinary gold or diamond rated locks.

in a situation where you can leave the lock between trips without fear of tampering I would get the best you can reasonably afford. I don’t know any proper studies on deterrence. I always assume it is relative to the perceived value of your bike and the one next to it, minus the hassle of breaking the lock. I still think most thieves are likely to be opportunistic with limited tools and the odds of encountering seriously tooled up types are rare outside major urban areas.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

in a situation where you can leave the lock between trips without fear of tampering I would get the best you can reasonably afford. I don’t know any proper studies on deterrence. I always assume it is relative to the perceived value of your bike and the one next to it, minus the hassle of breaking the lock. I still think most thieves are likely to be opportunistic with limited tools and the odds of encountering seriously tooled up types are rare outside major urban areas.

Thanks. It's "major urban area" that I live and work in. Worth pointing out that the keypad locked underground bike storage cage, at my place of work, was attacked by what must have been "seriously tooled up types" recently. The cage door was cut through, and a D lock cut through, with an angle grinder, by the looks of things. I don't know if a bike was stolen or not. The facilities manager says it's the first time in 14 years, but still, now that the thieves know it's there they may well come back. Hence why I'm interested in super secure locks. Also my insurance isn't valid if the bike is left away from home for longer than 12 hours, and I might want to leave the bike at work overnight sometimes.

My bike isn't obviously super expensive, perhaps, to the untrained eye. Steel frame, cable gears, old 9x3 Ultegra stuff, cable discs. But it's actually quite "smart" looking, as the frame isn't that old. I don't really know what thieves count as desirable.

The slightly unusual thing is that I built this up myself, and a lot of the drivetrain is unavailable. But I bought back-up brifters, front and rear derailleurs. I spoke to Yellow Jersey, who it's insured with, and they will pay out as long as I've got receipts, which I have. So in the event of a total loss, I'd be in the odd position of actually being nominally "up" on the deal, as I already have a lot of the components. The pain is I'd have to build the bike up again.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
I've got an Abus Granit XPlus 540 which I is diamond graded for pedal cycles.

or possibly one of the two "angle grinder clogging" D locks:

A few years ago my son rang me from the local supermarket. He had a "Micky Mouse" cheapo chain lock. He couldn't unlock it with his key. I hadn't got any big bolt croppers handy (I live on a farm), so I loaded our portable generator in the pickup together with an angle grinder. I drove to the supermarket and his bike was attached to one of their "hoops" next to the door. I started the generator and cut through the chain with the angle grinder. Several people walked past without commenting. I was expecting the supermarket to send someone to find out what was happening. Nobody batted an eyelid and after a few minutes, I had released the bike.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

A few years ago my son rang me from the local supermarket. He had a "Micky Mouse" cheapo chain lock. He couldn't unlock it with his key. I hadn't got any big bolt croppers handy (I live on a farm), so I loaded our portable generator in the pickup together with an angle grinder. I drove to the supermarket and his bike was attached to one of their "hoops" next to the door. I started the generator and cut through the chain with the angle grinder. Several people walked past without commenting. I was expecting the supermarket to send someone to find out what was happening. Nobody batted an eyelid and after a few minutes, I had released the bike.

Interesting, thanks.

The two D locks I was asking about were tested here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RFPlAAohw

He makes a very valid point, which is that in a "real world" theft, the thieves would be using a battery powered angle grinder, unlike the mains powered one that he (and you) used. My angle grinder is also mains powered, but my experience of battery powered tools (Makita drill) is that they are poor compared to mains powered. Plus thieves would have to carry several spare discs and take time to change them, and also wouldn't have the benefit of any sort of vice/clamp.

It's an interesting test that he does there, and is maybe enough to make me consider the £250 for one of those, or a heavy duty motorbike chain.

Top Bottom