superglue in wee cuts in tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
i got a puncture tnt so just fitted a new tube and checked for obvious shrapnel ,but theyre seemed nothing still stuck in the tyre ,it was dark outside (obv)so it wasnt a proper inspection
however after i got home i took the tyre back off and gave it a proper inspection after i fixed the original tube ,loadsa wee cuts and wee nicks(its a shwalbe lugano btw ),
theres a wee bit of damage on the side wall where i must have scuffed a pavement or something so ill b looking at changing them (iv got a pair of gatorskins il change over )
my question is il b keeping the tyre as a spare ,whats the best way of glueing the cuts ?iv got the tyre on the bike pumped up ,do i let it down and glue the slits or glue it when its at pressure ?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At pressure i'd say, though i found once that i'd put too much glue in the hole, it seeped through the tyre forming a tiny spike which popped the tube when i next used the bike!:ohmy:

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
its a puncture protected strip below the external rubber so any wee cuts and nicks havent went right through ,but when the tyre is down i can (as u said )manipulate it and if i kinda squeeze it to open the cuts i can actually see the strip ,the nicks are right through the rubber but not penetrated through the strip
id b looking to fill the wee holes and slits ,is superglue the way to do it ?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
its a puncture protected strip below the external rubber so any wee cuts and nicks havent went right through ,but when the tyre is down i can (as u said )manipulate it and if i kinda squeeze it to open the cuts i can actually see the strip ,the nicks are right through the rubber but not penetrated through the strip
id b looking to fill the wee holes and slits ,is superglue the way to do it ?

Don't you find that some puncture protective strips are like a tin can against this?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lvp7a7pmk
;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I put the superglue in with the tyre pumped up then immediately let some pressure out to close the gap while the glue sets. I only use it on small cuts that dont penetrate too far.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I put the superglue in with the tyre pumped up then immediately let some pressure out to close the gap while the glue sets. I only use it on small cuts that dont penetrate too far.

Like the sensible logic of this one. Hope I don't have to apply it.

Top Bottom