Supermarket Check Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

I went shopping with my wife to a large Sainsbury supermarket and she introduced me to the scan your own shopping as it is placed into the trolley. This is supposed to save time. Bearing in mind that we've got all bloody day I said OK lets do it. ( Good job I'm in a good mood I thought) Save time? Are you having a laugh? What a performance. I saw shoppers who came in after us with double the shopping we had get around and out of the store in half the time. There were plenty of checkouts and no delays whatsoever. What's the point?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Self-scan costs you time but saves the store staff time, therefore lowering their costs.

Personally I avoid self-scan checkouts like the plague. Too many "unexpected item in the bagging area" issues :cursing:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I use them in my local co op because they hardly have anyone on the tills and it's faster to use them than wait for dam staff.

Its quite telling though that they have to have a member of staff standing by them for when they go wrong. Still faster than only having 1 normal till in use.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Unlike you old bits, I love it. I can do a full shop using my phone to scan as I go, putting items straight into my bags and then simply check out at a machine. I am waiting for the next stage where I don’t need to go to the machine and it simply debits my account.

The best bit is that I can avoid the queues of slow old people :tongue:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Personally I avoid self-scan checkouts like the plague. Too many "unexpected item in the bagging area" issues

The OP isn't talking about scanning at the checkout, but about scanning stuff as you put it into your trolley or basket (ideally straight into your shopping bag). The advantage of that is that you pay without having to take anything out again.

tom73

Guru
Use them all the time scan ,pay via apple watch and go. Some of shops it’s got an added bonus of not having to deal with the rude staff some insist on employing.

Drago

Legendary Member
It doesn't save time, it saves them money by allowing them to employ less staff. I refuse to use them. But myself, unlike the workies who are always in a desperate hurry so they can get back to the grindstone, have all the time in the world to chat up the lass on the till and ask her where the extra large condoms are.

classic33

Leg End Member
The OP isn't talking about scanning at the checkout, but about scanning stuff as you put it into your trolley or basket (ideally straight into your shopping bag). The advantage of that is that you pay without having to take anything out again.
Sainsburys are pushing their "Scan & Bag" system. Scanned as you go round, and handing the handheld scanners over at the tills. Soon to be loaded into the payment points by the person scanning/shopping.

At odds with their withdrawal of their self scan scanners last year.

Charged £130 for a sandwich at Morrisons in the Owlcotes Centre in Pudsey many years ago. If I wanted to be served by a machine, I'd go online.

Top Bottom