Supermarket Check Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Self scan is useful when you have , for example a £6 off £40 spend, voucher so you can see how much more you need to spend to use it. If the groceries etc are not going to reach it a browse around the home, clothing, dvd etc sections often springs up something that I would not buy at the asking price but with, in this example, £6 off makes it good bargain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We seldom go shopping; Mrs Gti does something clever on her tablet and every Tuesday a charming man knocks at the door with all the groceries. It costs £32 a year, meaning each weekly delivery costs less than a pound and we must save hundreds of pounds a year by avoiding all the offers and impulse buys that end up being wasted. We get fresh milk delivered daily by Stuart the milkie who takes away the reusable bottles the next day.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I'm back in the UK, I use the local Morrisons as its only a five minute walk down the road. I usually have a dozen or so items, and am happy to use the self-checkout tills, but they never like the small backpack I place on the bag area, never once has it worked OK. Anyone know of a way to fool the machine? Sorry to hijack, but it's hardly worth the starting of a new thread.
There's one way I know, but I doubt I'd be allowed to post it.

Th

Drago

Legendary Member
We seldom go shopping; Mrs Gti does something clever on her tablet and every Tuesday a charming man knocks at the door with all the groceries. It costs £32 a year, meaning each weekly delivery costs less than a pound and we must save hundreds of pounds a year by avoiding all the offers and impulse buys that end up being wasted. We get fresh milk delivered daily by Stuart the milkie who takes away the reusable bottles the next day.
I must admit, we tend to get ours delivered too. Relatively speaking one can making multiple journeys is far less damaging than multiple cars making multiple journeys.

tyred

Legendary Member
Back in the day, the whole supermarket was in a van which drew up at your door, and you didn't need to buy a local newspaper 'cos the driver told you everything that was going on, and more.^_^

Indeed, in our case the mobile shop was a 1974 bay window VW Transporter. As well as groceries, he carried coal, gas cylinders and a few items of hardware. I'm not sure how many houses he visited in the day but it was probably quite a few. The sort of weekly shops that people do now would probably fill a relatively small (by modern standards) VW panel van yet it could carry enough for many families when families were usually bigger. What on earth do people buy nowadays?

bruce1530

Guru
My mate was at the supermarket last week. In the self-scan queue, in front of him, was a well-dressed lady, with a kid. She had a trolley full of large joints of meat, and chickens. And a few other things.

Got to checkout, Scanned first large piece of meat. It came up “Watermelon, 1.99”.
Scanned another. “Watermelon, 1.99”.
Scanned a chicken. “Watermelon, 1.99”.

Checkout op looked into the trolley. “You appear to have a trolley full of watermelons”.

Manager arrived. “I don’t want to suggest you’ve been swapping labels, but we’ll be checking CCTV. If we see anything out of the ordinary, we’ll be phoning police, and you’ll be barred”.
Lady walked out. Kid looked like he’d seen it all before.

Checkout op says “Watermelon labels are the easiest ones to peel off”.

Back in the day, the whole supermarket was in a van which drew up at your door, and you didn't need to buy a local newspaper 'cos the driver told you everything that was going on, and more.^_^
I'm old enough to remember those. We'd dash out to get our Lucky Bags and sweets. We had the coal man of course, and paraffin man, log man, mobile library. Best of the lot was an old fella with a horse and cart selling fruit & veg - like a scene straight out of Steptoe & Son.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm old enough to remember those. We'd dash out to get our Lucky Bags and sweets. We had the coal man of course, and paraffin man, log man, mobile library. Best of the lot was an old fella with a horse and cart selling fruit & veg - like a scene straight out of Steptoe & Son.
Sweets we used to get from "Penny's"*, not anywhere else, at the top of the hill.

Vans used to come round mid-week with the fruit & veg, bread at the end of the week.

Library was in its own building.

.....just remembered the fish van, bread we used to get from 'Parslows' up the road. Can remember the butchers shop with the separate cashiers kiosk.

I was still at junior school when the new Londis store opened, and who did the opening.................Terry Wogan. He was a radio star back in those days, housewives favourite of course. Pete Murray opened a local car showroom around the same time.

Sorry to the OP - gone a bit off track now!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Companies getting you to do their work is not a new idea. Self assembly furniture was introduced to cut manufacturing costs. There used to be an attendant at the garage to fill cars with petrol.
The oldest example is probably London Underground self service ticket machines.
Alas, old enough to recall the petrol attendants. Stopped a few years ago on work business at a tiny little station in deepest Wales, got out to fill her up myself, shocked to see elderly attendant waiting to do it for me!:okay:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Hang on just the other day you posted this
(Quote)
I don't care how the checkout works, I just can't understand why bumbling old folk insist on shopping on Saturdays when those who pay their pensions are trying to squeeze the shopping in between all the other weekend tasks. Why cant they shop during the working week?
(Unquote)

Are there two of you? ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, my wife and I. Despite receiving the majority of our shopping on Tuesdays there is the odd Saturday when we need to go to Booths to pick up something extra. We usually have plenty of stuff to do on Saturdays so we get frustrated when the tills are blocked with slow-moving retired folk doing all their week's shopping when they've had Monday to Friday to do it in peace.

Top Bottom