Supermarket Check Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Self-scan costs you time but saves the store staff time, therefore lowering their costs.

Personally I avoid self-scan checkouts like the plague. Too many "unexpected item in the bagging area" issues :cursing:

Precisely. They're just saving staffing costs and it saves you bugger-all time when it goes wrong. Plus, you have to wait to use one anyway a lot of the time. Can you imagine another job in which they get you to do part of it to save money?. Imagine getting on a bus & then being asked to drive it yourself:okay:.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can you imagine another job in which they get you to do part of it to save money?
Brings to mind those emails you get after you've bought something online saying 'why don't you take time out of your day to post feedback about how great we are?' Answer: why the bloody hell should I? I paid, you provided, The End. If you want more from me, what's in it for me?

classic33

Leg End Member
Precisely. They're just saving staffing costs and it saves you bugger-all time when it goes wrong. Plus, you have to wait to use one anyway a lot of the time. Can you imagine another job in which they get you to do part of it to save money?. Imagine getting on a bus & then being asked to drive it yourself:okay:.
I reckon most would want off the bus if I did that. It'd lead to quiet roads though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They, Sainsburys, have a smartshop app to help you with paying for your shopping as you go round. They'll be doing away with checkouts, or a number of the current ones.

One of the stores literally had no tills as a trial in 2018 and in 2019 at least one store without tills was opened fully. There were (probably still the case) six months ago different versions of the smartshop app. Not anywhere near me so I've no idea how these things have gone. The company is great at running trials and changing it's mind.

Doing away with current checkouts is something that's gone on the last few years quite independent of the do your own shopping concepts. My old store had ripped out about ten checkouts in two bites of the cherry. One bit of space they rent out to another company kerching. The rest of the space was turned into a new self scan area. It's happened in other stores too. The actual checkout staffing hours is now very low and the majority of hours done by non-checkout people at many hours of the day. It did cause them a lot of problems at peak flow and even other things like staffing lefties and righties.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Companies getting you to do their work is not a new idea. Self assembly furniture was introduced to cut manufacturing costs. There used to be an attendant at the garage to fill cars with petrol.
The oldest example is probably London Underground self service ticket machines.

When I'm back in the UK, I use the local Morrisons as its only a five minute walk down the road. I usually have a dozen or so items, and am happy to use the self-checkout tills, but they never like the small backpack I place on the bag area, never once has it worked OK. Anyone know of a way to fool the machine? Sorry to hijack, but it's hardly worth the starting of a new thread.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^^

1. Just bring your own carrier bag. Put your groceries in that then put the bag in your backpack when you've paid.
2. Just tell it you've put a bag in the bag area but put the groceries in the bagging area loose. Then put the groceries in your backpack when you've paid.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't care how the checkout works, I just can't understand why bumbling old folk insist on shopping on Saturdays when those who pay their pensions are trying to squeeze the shopping in between all the other weekend tasks. Why cant they shop during the working week?

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I don't care how the checkout works, I just can't understand why bumbling old folk insist on shopping on Saturdays when those who pay their pensions are trying to squeeze the shopping in between all the other weekend tasks. Why cant they shop during the working week?
I never thought of that. I've always shopped mid week to avoid the crowds but if it's going to piss off other shoppers I might just bumble along on a Saturday just for the hell of it.:smile:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I tend to judge the lifestyle of other shoppers by what's in their basket/trolly. Loads of booze - speaks for itself. Microwave ready meals - lazy or very busy. Salads, fresh vegetables, fresh meat ooh that's my trolley - a thoroughly decent and well adjusted person.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We always use the scan and bag system at our local ASDA. They have now introduced an App so you can scan with your Phone, so, no need to even mess about checking out a handset.

The reason(s) we do it are:

1. We find food shopping a chore, rather than a pleasure, so, like to get it done as quickly as possible (more time for cycling).
2. You can bag stuff as you go, in the bag of YOUR choice.
3. You can see the price of each article you buy and how much you have spent as you go.
4. At the payment area, no waiting behind people who, after standing in the queue for however long, suddenly start searching for their wallet/purse etc.
5. At 72 years old, it is a little challenge to keep our old brains active

I think we may start shopping on Saturdays, it may introduce a little enjoyment. ;)

Top Bottom