Supermarket Check Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, my wife and I. Despite receiving the majority of our shopping on Tuesdays there is the odd Saturday when we need to go to Booths to pick up something extra. We usually have plenty of stuff to do on Saturdays so we get frustrated when the tills are blocked with slow-moving retired folk doing all their week's shopping when they've had Monday to Friday to do it in peace.
There can be few things more annoying about supermarket shopping than being delayed by two person shopping teams blocking the aisles while they decide to buy or not buy Rich Tea biscuits. Sending out two people to do the work of one is an extravagant use of time:angry::angry:.

^_^

Mike_P

Guru
Just done my self scan trick with a £6 voucher and, with the shopping less than its required spend, got 1p off the shopping and a free copy of Procycling with a 2020 calendar^_^

Seevio

Guru
I don't like the idea of using your watch to pay. My Tudor cost nearly 4 grand, which makes the weekly shop suddenly rather expensive.
I quite like the idea of using your watch to pay. It would mean I could get a shedload of stuff and still get to keep my Omega.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There can be few things more annoying about supermarket shopping than being delayed by two person shopping teams blocking the aisles while they decide to buy or not buy Rich Tea biscuits. Sending out two people to do the work of one is an extravagant use of time:angry::angry:.

^_^
I can name one. People at a checkout in any retail outlet who are suddenly taken by surprise they will have to pay.

This then requires finding purse/wallet, rummaging around in said item, counting coins only to discover they don't have enough change, can't find the £20 note they thought was there and eventually get out a card!

Me? I know roughly how much I've spent and have card or cash in hand in the queue. Simple.

.......and don't get me started on lottery tickets. The biggest time waster of all in convenience stores. I've been known to leave.........

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
.......and don't get me started on lottery tickets. The biggest time waster of all in convenience stores. I've been known to leave.........

It would be interesting to know how much commission the store gets for selling lottery tickets.

Maybe enough to make a conveniently-located store viable at all. :rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I can name one. People at a checkout in any retail outlet who are suddenly taken by surprise they will have to pay.

This then requires finding purse/wallet, rummaging around in said item, counting coins only to discover they don't have enough change, can't find the £20 note they thought was there and eventually get out a card!

Me? I know roughly how much I've spent and have card or cash in hand in the queue. Simple.

Excellent, I will endeavour to join your queue next time I shop, and, don't, for some reason, use the "scan as you go tills"!

Well done! ;)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It would be interesting to know how much commission the store gets for selling lottery tickets.

Maybe enough to make a conveniently-located store viable at all. :rolleyes
"National Lottery retailers earn 5% commission for each draw-based game sold and 6% on each Scratchcard sold – as well as 1% on certain prizes paid out in-store."

Nibor

Bewildered
Not so much they 'insist on employing',more like they all have mostly good but some bad staff i'd say. I shop late in the day,between 9.30pm and 11pm. I've sussed out the check out staff who couldn't give a shoot about being polite and professional and the ones who do. If i see one of the former on the till i'll use the self service till, though when buying beer i need a person to allow my purchase with this 'are you old enough' law they have. My favourite bad mannered thing they tend to do/say is "Are you old enough? I think we can safely say you are",or words to the affect of. To me they're patronisingly saying that they think i'm an old git. I cringe when they say it! I find it offensive.:thumbsdown:
I always ask if they want to see my ID

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Tesco usually have enough checkouts open that using Scan as you Shop doesn't save much time, but I use it because it means I don't have to interact with people [I know there are some readers here who will understand this].
Sainsbury *never* have enough checkouts open, so Self Scan is wonderful. I used it today when the store was busy, and when I'd finished the shopping there were long queues at all the checkouts, and the Self Scan area was empty.

What?

Smug?

Moi?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Tesco usually have enough checkouts open that using Scan as you Shop doesn't save much time, but I use it because it means I don't have to interact with people [I know there are some readers here who will understand this].
Getting through a shop without having to take my hood down or my sunglasses off is winning.

Top Bottom