supermarket delivery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Yet again haven't been overly diligent in my weekend shopping plans.

Tommorrows monday, when the shopping part of the cerebral-cortex is at an all-time low.

What are people's experiences with supermarket delivery services and who is best?

simoncc

I've tried Tescos and Sainsburys a few times and they were hopleless for reliability. My neighbours think the same. A few years ago when these services started the delivery vans were a common sight on my street, but not any more. Most people have given up on them.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We use Asda and on the whole they're very good. No-one's perfect but we use them fortnightly and generally do okay. If your house is remotely hard to find, put detailed instructions on the 'extra information' section.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ocado are pretty good. Turn up when they say they will and stuff very rarely gets substituted. Tesco seem OK round our way, but often have clueless substitutions. We used Sainsburys once and the delivery was about 5 hours late and hopelessly wrong. Mind you, they didn't charge us for it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am beginning to think this varies considerably. I live some distance away from my Mother. I do an on-line shop for her once a month thru Tesco, obviously delivered to her house, and have been doing so for some years now.

The order is correctly delivered, at the right time, and the delivery people are very helpful. She is 86, and frail. They give her the frozen stuff separately, so she can put it straight in the freezer, and she says they are very pleasant. You can choose "no substitutions". This saves getting unwanted items.

Could this difference be anything to do with the fact that she has an early morning delivery mid-week. Perhaps the pickers, packers and delivery people are less busy at that time?

barq

I've used Ocado, Tesco and Sainsburys. I've had good and bad experience from all of them (more of the former or I wouldn't persist). They become progressively easier to shop from because you become more familiar with the layout of the website, and you can shop from your 'favourites' list. Where possible I leave quite detailed instructions for the pickers - especially where substitute products may not be intuitive. At the end of the day you don't have to accept substitutes if you don't want them and if you discover any damaged goods they are pretty good at refunding.

I can't comment on SimonCC's experiences, but they are a growing market so I don't think it can be true that most people have given up using them.

walker

Best thing for saving money on shopping in my Opinion. you Don't end up walking down isles you don't need to and pick up something you don't need, just point and click on what you want and its that easy.

Tesco's are great, sometimes if they don't have what you want they will give you something else the same and it ends up being something of better quality or more expensive but for the same price of the thing you ordered

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I worked for Iceland, we were one of the first to do home delivery - back in those days the customer came into the store, did the shopping, and left it with us to be delivered later - it was pretty popular, with people who wanted to shop at lunchtime but not leave their frozen food sitting around until they got home. So obviously, there was none of this substitution, as the customer picked their own stuff. I got to drive the van sometimes.

I haven't used online shopping personally, but some of my friends have. Handy if you want to buy in bulk but don't have a car or bike trailer...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
:biggrin: If you intend ordering "Frisky Napoleons" I wonder what the search will show? :biggrin::ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
Don't do it, you end up getting sucked into a giant performance related customer preference scheme and it can take, quite literally, years to escape.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Been using Asda and Tesco for the last few weeks (mainly as we've been getting £5 vouchers which almost cover the delivery cost) and have had no real issues.

Last delivery (Saturday evening) was a bit of a nightmare as they'd swapped an item out but the replacement wasn't valid for an offer that the original was (3 bottles of wine for £10) - so 2 x £8 bottles and a £5.50 bottle should have cost 10 quid (bargain!) but when they swapped one for a £6.50 bottle they ended up at full price (i.e. 20 quid!) but a quick phone call was all that was necessary to resolve it.

Much easier IMO that traipsing around a supermarket full of morons with no trolley awareness/control (yes, let's place the trolley across the asile whilst reaching for something off that shelf....) while trying to keep 2 kids entertained.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
once ordered wine from tezzies online, used clubcard vouchers to pay most if it. they buggered the order up and had to re-input it in, hence i got charged the full amount. however, a polite but annoyed phone call got the amount reduced to what it should have been with the vouchers, with the vouchers then still usable, so i got about £60 of stuff for £30 of vouchers.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
once ordered wine from tezzies online, used clubcard vouchers to pay most if it. they buggered the order up and had to re-input it in, hence i got charged the full amount. however, a polite but annoyed phone call got the amount reduced to what it should have been with the vouchers, with the vouchers then still usable, so i got about £60 of stuff for £30 of vouchers.

That is technically theft. :biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

I've used Tecso home delivery for years. They do screw up occasionally, but on the whole I find it very convenient. I once got a call from my Tesco driver saying that the van had broken down, but that he wasn't far away - did I want to drive over and collect it myself rather than waiting until the van got fixed? My Wife had the car at the time so he was quite impressed when I turned up with the child trailer to load it all in to ;-)

They refunded the delivery charge, by the way :biggrin:

Top Bottom