Superstar Elite 30 ultra wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Got them fitted today along with the new chain, slight adjustment on cable tension and the gears all seem ok, will hopefully test ride tomorrow.
A couple more pics
image.jpg

image.jpg

Did try to upload a short vid of freewheel noise for @MissyR but for some reason it's not letting me do it. But it's very quiet.

MissyR

They really do look the mutts!! They have sparked a "debate" in the home.... Who's bike will they go on? Who's gonna take the Syncros RR2.0's or do we sell them and buy two pairs :rolleyes:

If you have a photobucket account post the link and i'll be able to access the vid from there

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Went out tonight for the first time on the superstar elite 30's and ultremos.
Well, they feel "nice" and definetly lighter, because they are! They are true and spin up quick.
However because my pace was increased because I was probably trying hard and able to go faster you soon lose the special "feel" of lightness as you become accustomed to the new kit.
So what I'm trying to say is they are "quick" wheels but as your overall performance level has increased it's still just as bloody hard to pedal the bike, particularly up hills, you just get there a bit quicker!
https://www.strava.com/activities/301997104
And
https://www.strava.com/activities/302044996
Overall pretty impressed with them for the price and pretty pleased with the Ultegra 9sp 11-23 cassette, which for me has nicer close ratios where I want them (I didn't need to change into the 23 cog on any of the hills tonight and stayed on the 50 ring up front).
Will see how they affect my times on my TT nights now that I have bench mark times set on my R501's and cheap road tyres (although wind and particular conditions on the night aswell as my hopefully improved fitness could play a part here).

MissyR

I doubt the wheels will benefit me short term as I have been off the bike since last August :sad: my fitness will be the issue no matter if I have them or not but it's something I'd be looking to change on the bike asap when it arrives. Good to see the time improvement though!

I was reading a post over on road CC about them and they rate them rather well. Personally for the money I haven't found anything that can touch them (without chinabay).

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I doubt the wheels will benefit me short term as I have been off the bike since last August :sad: my fitness will be the issue no matter if I have them or not but it's something I'd be looking to change on the bike asap when it arrives. Good to see the time improvement though!

I was reading a post over on road CC about them and they rate them rather well. Personally for the money I haven't found anything that can touch them (without chinabay).
That's what drew me to them - they seemed good bang for buck, following a recommendation from another cyclechat member of superstar wheels. They've been pretty big in the MTB world for a while now, but are relatively new to road stuff I think.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Good times on the TT Justin. Well done :okay:
I'm only an amateur, just playing at it with my mates, but my times are improving. Ridden that course 4 times now since August 2014 and 33.27 30.28 28.42 and last night 27.01, and last nights was pretty much in ideal conditions so will see if can replicate that in an actual TT! :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:
Edit, the third ride was in an actual TT event, the others all training rides.

Last edited:

MissyR

Just been out tonight and completed my local 10 TT as a training ride with the superstars, beat my 10 time by around a minute and a half. Great conditions, hardly any wind and bugger all cars, and a fair dollop of determination
https://www.strava.com/activities/305196602
These wheels and tyres are pretty fast!

We stopped off at a wee bike cafe in Hamilton today and spotted a ventura in it. It looks as though it was well ridden!

Those are some good times being posted. Well done :okay:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just been out tonight and completed my local 10 TT as a training ride with the superstars, beat my 10 time by around a minute and a half. Great conditions, hardly any wind and bugger all cars, and a fair dollop of determination
https://www.strava.com/activities/305196602
These wheels and tyres are pretty fast!
Just had my second club TT on the 10 course and beat my time again, now down to 26.33 from 27.01, so another 30 seconds off. But interestingly my first TT on that course was with the R501 wheelset and road tyres and I've just beaten that time by 2 minutes and 9 seconds.
Whatever way you look at it since I've put the superstars on my speed has gone up! Well pleased with them (and the tyres and the cassette). :okay:

interestingly my first TT on that course was with the R501 wheelset and road tyres and I've just beaten that time by 2 minutes and 9 seconds.
Whatever way you look at it since I've put the superstars on my speed has gone up! :okay:

Or it could be course familiarity, or better fitness, or a better gearing set up with the cassette ;)

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Or it could be course familiarity, or better fitness, or a better gearing set up with the cassette ;)
Absolutely, and I have said similar, also better technique - getting cadence right etc, just generally learning, basically getting everything as good as it can be for my current set up. One things for sure though, they are miles better than my old R501/tyre combo.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just recieved the elite ultra 24`s , look good but they forgot the spacers so i can use a 10 speed cassette on it, not bad for £166 .
Bought the weight of my boardman down a fair bit compared to the mavic cxp 22`s that were on it originally , certainly at a weight you can pay a couple of grand for elsewhere although it is a very harsh aluminium frame as i found out riding over some patchy road surfaces .

Top Bottom